Maloof Rocker Weekend 3 (of 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Well, weekend three is behind us now ... the chairs were a ROCKIN' today baby!

Now, there is still hours of work shaping, sanding and finishing, but John (Woodguy) taught us everything needed to make a rocking chair ... Maloof-style! It was an EXCELLENT class and I would like to thank John for his instruction and friendship throughout this process.

A couple pictures from this weekends events ...

Oct-Nov_2008_251.jpg

Oct-Nov_2008_242.jpg

Oct-Nov_2008_234.jpg

The rest of my pics http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1411

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Looks like a great job on the rocker. Glad y'all enjoyed it and learned a skill at the same time!! I have enjoyed following the threads related to the class. Thanks for posting.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Gotta start saving my pennies for this. Glad you guys had fun. Can I put the class on layaway????????? :gar-Bi

woodguy1975

New User
John
Every did a great job all three weekends. It's always fun to watch the transformation both to the wood and to the student through the process. I had a lot fun all weekends. Lots of wise cracks, laughs, and woodworking. :) What more could you ask for.

Now Guys, finish those rockers. Mike promised to be done before Tgiving. :)

John

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Dang Jeremy!
Did you work on your chair or just take pics?:gar-La;

Mike-Glad you got your benchtop leveled.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I should have made him sign a nondisclosure agreement. He was busy with the camera. :D
Too late!

Jeremy - I expect the first draft of "How to build a Maloof Rocker" by Tuesday next week. Hard cover will be on sale this Spring at $39.95 :)

woodguy1975

New User
John
Too late!

Jeremy - I expect the first draft of "How to build a Maloof Rocker" by Tuesday next week. Hard cover will be on sale this Spring at $39.95 :)

LOL, he already has the photos!!!!! :) He took more photos in one class than I have in the other 8-10 that I've done.

On a serious side....
I've thought about writing a how to do a traditional maloof rocker, but there are just so many things about the process that you can't portray in a picture or a book. There is much more than the physical construction process to the end result. :) Unlike a Taylor rocker we don't work from plans. Every chair is designed 100% by the individual. Jeremy's back leg, spindle, seat, crest, and arms are all his design. Everyone in the class had a different interpretation of the design that they took from a concept on a peice of plywood to complete rocker. That part is so awesome. It really is an evolutionary process.

These guys didn't just build a maloof rocker, they designed it from the ground up!!!!!!! Now not only can they build another like the one they created with me, they can design something totally new with the concepts and processes they have learned.

I guess it is obvious I'm passionate about this style of furniture. :gar-Bi

JohnW

New User
John
Jeremy,
This has been a great thread. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I saw your rocker at the turn-n-learn last week...in pieces. It sure looks good assembled. Can't wait to see it finished and rockin.

John W

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Too late!

I think John (Woodguy) would kill me!:gar-La;

The pictures tell a story ... probably not nearly enough to actually build one, but a story none-the-less.

I was busy with that camera ... figured photos served better than my memory!

woodguy1975

New User
John
Jeremy, why didn't you post this one. This was a unique pictured. Jeremy using a handtool.... :rotflm: I can't beleive I got him to put down the belt sander!!!!!!

Oct-Nov_2008_184.jpg

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks for all of the pictures Jeremy. :eusa_clap I wasn't really sure what a maloof rocker was. Those things are HUGE. :eek: I'm not sure I could fit one on my porch. Maybe I need a bigger porch. :eusa_thin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS