Making your own sanding belts

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
In the
H&L vs PSA
thread previously started I realized I need a question answered.

A couple of years ago I was the lucky winner of a box of various grit sand paper from Klingspor. As Rob "McRabbett" mentioned in that thread it's all he uses and there's a good reason I've realized.

What I've never done is ask how to connect it for my belt sander. I've been using that paper on my palm sander and hand sanding blocks only. Recently I started a project with cherry glued up to panel size and have used my PC belt sander to smooth the glue lines. I realize that there is a certain tape used to connect the ends of the paper to size the 'sleeve' ( ? ). What kind of tape is it? Is there anything I can buy to make my own?

TIA,

Barbara

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Barbara,

I'm anxious to hear if anyone has an answer to this, as I have tried it myself without much success. I tried using a fiber reinforced plastic tape, kind of like Scotch tape with strands of polyester or something in it, and then coated the whole mess with a thin layer of a flexible epoxy that I found at the hardware store. This was on the conveyor of my Performax sander, which is simply a very large 100 grit sanding belt. Two problems with this fix. First, it didn't work. Second, it created a bit of a lump because of the epoxy. Not very satisfactory.

I suspect that the manufacturers use a heat activated adhesive that is applied to a fiber reinforced tape. That would leave a flat surface, the only bump being due to the thickness of the tape which I imagine is only .003 in or less.

Thanks for asking about this. I'm waiting for some of our resourceful members to offer a solution.

Matt

M

McRabbet

Barbara,

I think you'd be hard-pressed to make your own belts from the strips of abrasive paper in your "bargain" box. The joints in belts have four important characteristics: 1) they are cut at an angle so they don't "thump" as they pass over the platen; 2) the abrasive is removed at the overlap to thin the joint; 3) a very strong, heat-resistant glue is used; and 4) a fiber tape (like fiber strapping tape) is used with the fibers running across the joint (i.e., you'd need tape the width of the belt). On top of that, you'd need to be sure you got the paper the correct length and the joint aligned properly. My suggestion? Let Klingspor make the belts -- they are pretty inexpensive. I buy my 3" x 21" belts at Klingspor in their "Bargain Box" style where you get six each of 60, 80, 100, 120, 150 and 180 grit or 36 belts for just $29!

b4man

New User
Barbara
Thanks Rob, I was hoping to draw your reply. Your sage advice to have Klingspor make them in Quantity will be taken by me. I didn't realize it was an option.

Barbara

b4man

New User
Barbara
Oh yeh, to expand this topic a bit, can you give some insight on the use of the eraser? I have one and have tried it from time to time but it just doesn't seem to help much.

Maybe I'm not using it correctly. Imagine that!:gar-La;

Barbara

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would check with Klingspor. They probably have your belt size in stock with several options for grit composition and grit size.

I was overwhelmed at the number of belts they stock! That is their main business, the tools are really a side line.

M

McRabbet

Oh yeh, to expand this topic a bit, can you give some insight on the use of the eraser? I have one and have tried it from time to time but it just doesn't seem to help much.

Maybe I'm not using it correctly. Imagine that!:gar-La;

Barbara
I use a belt eraser on my stationary 6" x 48" belt/disk sander -- You need to be careful that it does not grab, but hold it against the belt while it is running and apply an edge of the eraser firmly against the belt. Move it across the belt and it should remove most of the embedded gunk. I clean my belts fairly frequently to avoid build-up. On a portable belt sander, clamp it in a vise upside down so it won't move and do the same process. I have an eraser that is about 2" square by 8" long and it has lasted for years. I also use a smaller one on my Worksharp to keep the disks clean. HTH.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I use a belt eraser on my stationary 6" x 48" belt/disk sander -- You need to be careful that it does not grab, but hold it against the belt while it is running and apply an edge of the eraser firmly against the belt. Move it across the belt and it should remove most of the embedded gunk. I clean my belts fairly frequently to avoid build-up. On a portable belt sander, clamp it in a vise upside down so it won't move and do the same process. I have an eraser that is about 2" square by 8" long and it has lasted for years. I also use a smaller one on my Worksharp to keep the disks clean. HTH.

Alrighty then. Just picture me sander in one hand, eraser in the other using the eraser like a finger nail file on the sandpaper. NO WONDER my eraser is still the same size as it was when I bought it 6 years ago:eek:

Once again I'm enlightened and educated by North Carolina Woodworker. Thanks again Rob:embaresse

Barbara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors