making an easel

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Sunday School teacher yesterday asked if anyone had an easel to hold a 2'x3' (approx.) chalk board. I was volunteered to build one (such nice people). Has anyone build one and posted pix for inspiration? Do you think I would need to make a 4-leg instead of tripod type for stability for that size board? I intend to make the legs from mahogany and the bottom board rest from curly maple. Any design ideas on how to jazz it up a little (yea, I want to show off just a little since everyone will know there it came from)??

Thanks!!

clowman

Clay Lowman
Oh Oh Oh.. I can help with this one.....
This is a sure fire winner with my son in the winter time. He never stops playing with it in the wintertime, and that's 2 years ago. It is a New yankee plan. I liked it, it's very stable, especially since I put a lock on the underside to keep the shelf from folding up. One thing we were concerned with was putting pressure on one side of the easle and having it tip over. (which is the case with anything bought today) The only modification I did here was I put a little lock on the underside to keep the bottom in place when it was being used. Oh.. this thing folds up for storage in the summertime. Definately definately, definately, go with 4 legs. You don't want the little ones tipping it over. More information is availiable from me if the interest is there.

easel2.jpg

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
I would think that a tripod style would be fine if the legs have a large enough spread.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Hey Clay,

Is this plan written up in one of Norm's books? The books are in the libraries and contain more than enough info to build the projects.

Ray

eddie joe

New User
edd
There are some good ideas at www.cheapjoes.com. They are up in Boone and are a supplier of art materials and art stuff. Good on line reference catalog. a lot of good ideas. I built an artist easel just from the catalog dimensions and picture.. Came out very good.

Edd

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I've heard that Cheap Joe's is a good place. If pics on the net and in catalogs might help, you can also try Dick Blick and Jerry's Artarama. Both have paper and net catalogs.

Ray

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Charles,

Don't forget to post some photos of the project. And if you are developing your own design, I'd love to hear about the details.

Ray

Matt

New User
Matt Willis
Granted this was only for a picture frame, but here is one that I made:
LaceWoodEasel.JPG

Here it is with the frame sitting on it:
LaceWoodFrame.JPG

Hope that helps

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Matt said:
Granted this was only for a picture frame, but here is one that I made:
LaceWoodEasel.JPG

Hey Matt,

I do like the the frame stand... I think I'll borrow your design... LOML has more pictures around the house than we'll ever find hooks or stands for. And since it can be made out of short / narrow pieces, it's a good use for my cut off pile.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors