Major Gloats With Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
I have had the last two weeks off and have been very busy! I listed tons of fishing and hunting stuff on Craig's List and Ebay. This generated lots of money to fund my new WW addiction. I bought a Dust Collector and started installing the duct work. I know I will change it around alot so it isn't completely fastened into place yet. Here are some pics of the DC system (look how red the padauk made it):

448141863_2eqxU-X3.jpg

I had to tear out lots of shelves to make room for all the new stuff. You can see the dust collection line running along the ceiling from left to right below. I made a new shelf to hold tools and paint just under it. It is low enough that I can reach it but high enough to walk under on the wall side of my bench.

448141158_TJQfG-X3.jpg

Here are two drop lines that go to my table saw and my planer. I gotta do something about my table saw. I bought it because it folded up and I thought that would be a nice feature. I have only had it a few months but I am already wanting a bigger one that is more stable. This one only has a two inch dust port and it gets dust all over the place. Isn't that a good reason to get a better saw? Besides, now that I have completely dedicated my building to WWing, I have more room.

448140404_QMmtL-X3.jpg

I have bought a lot of 8/4 maple at Wall Lumber recently. Here is a picture of what I got today along with some walnut and oak.

448145642_U3LPC-X3.jpg

My old circular saw wasn't up to the task of cutting this stuff. So, I got a new Makita. It makes quick work of this stuff.

448142675_ZtKod-X3.jpg

I really enjoy using hand planes to smooth and join. But, I have a big kitchen project that I will post some questions about soon. After seeing Jon Todd's jointer and how well it works, I bought this Grizzly. I was limited by space and weight. So, I went with the six inch with spiral head. It cuts so smoothly! It has plenty of power for what I will be doing and I am very pleased with it. They threw in a free hat which I really like. I am picky about my hats!

448139692_ts9Sn-X3.jpg

Right now, I just have a piece of hose for dust collection from it. Once I figure out how I want to arrange things, I will run a permanent pipe. I am surprised how well the hose works. I like that hose because it works like a slinky and folds itself back up.

My wife and parents got me some cool stuff for Christmas. Here is a Lie Nielsen block plane, some chisels, and drill bits my folks gave me:

448144895_zKQsx-X3.jpg

448144279_c7k2k-X3.jpg

My wife got me a cool Veritas clamp that fits into the dog holes in my bench and a nice roller stand (I think she was tired of helping me hold boards).

448143176_nGMoC-X3.jpg

448135135_cF2Cb-X3.jpg

She also got me some more Jet Parallel clamps:

448135991_R9ZmX-X3.jpg

I would tell you that my shop isn't always this messy. I do clean it up a lot but, it gets messy again! I really need more space. I have a bunch more stuff I don't use to hunt any more and a boat I don't fish or hunt out of any more. I am thinking about converting these into a bigger shop! :elvis:

I am a lucky man with a great family! Thanks for looking.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
That is a great group of gloats and I hope I am the first to say:
YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!

woodylarry

New User
Larry
It seems you've gone overboard ! (pun intended).

NICE JOB! We'll want pics of the new shop once it's done.

Alex Franke

New User
Alex
Very cool indeed. I aspire to have dust collection like that!

I especially like how you made that clamp gleam in the light. ;)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
"I have a safe full of guns I don't use to hunt any more and a boat I don't fish or hunt out of any more. I am thinking about converting these into a bigger shop! "

Michael: If you start liquidating your gun inventory, please PM me with a list of what you have for sale.

Thanks

:notworthy:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Sweet!!!! You have been VERY busy and have acquired a LOT of toyls...

Two comments on your dust collection set up so far.

First, 6" is better than 4". Do what you can afford and have access to, but know that it is better even with your collector. FWIW, I had that collector albeit an older model of it.

Second, it looks like you are using the correct T's/Wye's, but your 90's seem too tight of a radius. If you can get a wider radius do so, as it will make a LOT of difference!

Lastly, KEEP THE PICS COMING!!!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Michael, terrific gloats, and great pics. But come on man, you gotta spread these things out! The impact is much bigger if you post two or three items every few days!!!

:)

Rock on....

M

McRabbet

Michael,

Looks like your fishing trip to eBay yielded some whoppers in exchange! Well done! I need to agree with Travis on your use of elbows -- I'd suggest you change out the dual 90's at the end of your new shelf units to a pair of 45's with a short straight piece in between. Likewise, use a 45 at the end of the duct run by your DC to reduce loss there. If possible, make your own blast gates from standard PVC couplings cut in half and mounted to plywood; then use laminate for the full diameter gate section slider. Here's a link to links in our Link Library. Keep the diameter of your runs at the largest size possible (2-1/2" flex has very high friction loses). I am installing 6" PVC duct for my cyclone and I'm changing out my tablesaw, jointer and other machine ports to full 6" connections.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'd suggest you change out the dual 90's at the end of your new shelf units to a pair of 45's with a short straight piece in between. Likewise, use a 45 at the end of the duct run by your DC to reduce loss there.
Looks like you're 'hooked'.:gar-La;
As for the 45 degree elbows, you can save yourself some glue up by asking for a 'sweep 90 degree elbow'. This will have the same long radius as your 'tee' in the line. BTW, that tee is what's called a 'combination'.
So, what's your first project gonna be? :icon_scra

flatheadfisher

New User
Michael
Thanks for all of the nice comments and for the advice on the DC stuff, every bit helps! Bas, I am spreading them out - still waiting on the brown truck to bring the rest of it! :rotflm:

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Well, there are your everyday run-of-the-mill gloats, the simple combination gloat, but this is a "gloat that never ends" gloat. Man oh man you rock!! :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS