Magnetic Bandsaw Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Rockler sells a magnetic bandsaw tray. So I made my own using 1/8 plywood I bought from sawduster and some rare earth magnetic I had left over from another project. I would have put the tray on the top, but the Delta bandsaw does not have a flat cover there.

Doug

Attachments

• P1010014.jpg
    P1010014.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 189
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 184

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
What, its supposed to hold stuff??:gar-La; Seriously I will let you know. I have not put anything in it yet. If it does not work well, I have more magnets!!:widea:

Doug

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What, its supposed to hold stuff??:gar-La; Seriously I will let you know. I have not put anything in it yet. If it does not work well, I have more magnets!!:widea:

Doug

:rolf: So this was a solution looking for a problem? Come to think of it, that's how I justify all my tool purchases :) I select a project for which I need something new ("yes honey, I really want to build a traditional Japanese chopstick holder").

Nice design though, keep us posted.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Yes it holds stuff. I put a marking gauge in it no problem. However when I took the tray off the saw one of the magnets decided it was more attracted to the saw than the tray. Doh! Anyway I added some more glue. I may have to epoxy them on. I may also add 2 more magnets. I have not decided.

The only problem is that due to where I have to place it, I am not sure how useful it will be.:dontknow:

Doug​

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Those rare earth magnets are strong. I've been meaning to do something like what you have there, but I haven't sat down to think of a good way to keep them in the wood - fearing that glue wouldn't be enough.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Neat idea. You might need some of the REM mounting cups that are held in with a screw. I saw the Rockler one and thought neat idea, but then thought, other than dust, what was I going to put in it? Maybe the allen wrench used for adjusting the blade guides?

Rare earth magnets are really useful. I was thinking of using them to hold a sacrificial fence to my aluminum Unifence by mounting the magnets in the back of a ply sacrificial fence and placing a steel or iron bar on the back side of the Unifence.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Yes it holds stuff. I put a marking gauge in it no problem. However when I took the tray off the saw one of the magnets decided it was more attracted to the saw than the tray. Doh! Anyway I added some more glue. I may have to epoxy them on. I may also add 2 more magnets. I have not decided.​

The only problem is that due to where I have to place it, I am not sure how useful it will be.:dontknow:​

Doug​
If you want to use glue you will have to use epoxy. Nothing else will hold. DAMHIKT. The magnet cups work also, but with 1/8" material those will probably have to be epoxied as well, if you have enough material thickness to use them.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Yes it holds stuff. I put a marking gauge in it no problem. However when I took the tray off the saw one of the magnets decided it was more attracted to the saw than the tray. Doh! Anyway I added some more glue. I may have to epoxy them on. I may also add 2 more magnets. I have not decided.​

The only problem is that due to where I have to place it, I am not sure how useful it will be.:dontknow:​

Doug​

So, who says it has to be useful? Cool factor counts for something and that tray is COOL!! :)

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors