Magazine Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Need another gift idea?
These are made from 1X12 BORG pine shelving. If you also use some scrap, you can make it from a 6' piece. Crosscut a 18" piece and rip it into even widths (apprx 3 5/8") for the top. Run all edges pass a chamfer bit and glue up. Next crosscut 2 20" pieces and rip 4 pieces using previous setup. You can do all this at once, of course.
Use 2 20" pieces for the center upright and crosscut 2 20" pieces @45 degrees in half for the sides of the uprights. (Chamfer or not, your decision. I chamfered the outside edges after glue up). Glue the uprights.
Size a 1X10X14 piece from the shelving or scrap. Center on the bottom of the uprights (ends). Draw a line from any top outside end piece, to the bottom edge. Take that angle to your sled or miter gage and cut that on all 4 sides of the ends (uprights).
Now you can chamfer the perimeter of the end assy (or not). Rip that angle off the bottom if you wish, too. With the bottoms of the ends flush with the bottom piece, install a center divider with pocket screws, glue or both.
Set the top on the ends, centered, and screw battens across the underside of the top and inside of the ends. Glue the edge of the battens to the ends.
Glue, screw, pin side slats as pictured. Paint, stain or leave it bare!
Merry Christmas:eusa_danc

Magazine_Table_2_.JPG
Magazine_Table.JPG
Magazine_Table_1_.JPG

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Nice Joe, very nice. I bet that you can crank those out pretty darn quick, and they look great! The chamfered edges really make everything flow.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice job, Joe! :eusa_clap:eusa_clapThat may be just what I've been looking for to go beside my chair in the den.:eusa_thin I could park my laptop on it and also a drink. Room in the bottom for some books. Yep, I think so!! :icon_thum

Thanks again for the idea!! :wink_smil

Dudelive

New User
Dude
That is quite nice and an excellent description.

As to using it for a laptop I might consider attaching some brackets made the same way and slide the laptop into them. They would fastened at one end and the laptop slid in on edge.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Bas, they do go together quick. Night before I sketched out the pieces, listed the order of work and made sure it flowed in my head. Same as with any project. Next morning, 4 ends and 2 tables in the clamps in about 2 hours. Take wife shopping (never been able to define the order of work there!), then out of the clamps, thru the router table, glue up the units......eat dinner. Won't even bore you with the finishing:BangHead:
One daughter wanted a pair for her den.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice quick job of it again, Joe!!:icon_thum:icon_thum

That finish doesn't look too shabby either.

Nice when you can put together multiples on an assembly line. Less setup!

Girls will be very happy, I am sure.

Thanks for the details.

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Very nice looking units~

Clean design, multifunctional, and from the looks and description relatively easy to make!

Thanks for sharing this!

Mattt

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
nice work Joe. I may hafta stea........ borrow that design.:gar-Bi I need something like it to go next to my easy chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors