Machinist Toolbox

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
Looked around EBay for a machinist tool chest but decided to build one instead. Case is done but need to finish making drawers. Had “scrap” QSWO in the shop and used it all up on this! Building a base to sit this on now. Hardware from Gerstner. Funny thing is I found a nice Gerstner O42 on EBay for good deal so now I have 2! Box I bought on eBay was cheaper than hardware on one I built
D2BF0AF7-E702-4844-AABF-B15D50E3901B.jpeg
C45B8AF0-41A4-4E83-9FD3-119C1E759745.jpeg
4EEB0A80-5AB9-4833-A9EB-0AE3AC6FD7A3.jpeg
DE4C5F64-3FDC-42CA-B6E9-B9404620520A.jpeg

ssmith

New User
Scott
Nicely done! It looks very sturdy and the white oak looks really good the way you used it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I like the modification to Gerstner's design. The full front panel looks nice and gives extra space to set tools while you look through the drawers.

Last edited:

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
A knockout piece. I am partial to QSWO, and you used the grain and fleck patterns superbly. What stands out to me is your comment that the hardware cost more than a used whole chest. I'm running into this more often, especially when I'm making jigs. It's a crying shame.

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
I like the modification to Gerstner's design. The full front panel looks nice and gives extra space to set tools while you look through the drawers.
Thanks Mike. Only downside to the way I did this is I have to use flush mount drawer pulls instead of the fancy knobs on the Gerstners. I ended up using same finger pulls on drawers as the one on the front. Still finishing them up but should look good.

Dean

Dean
Corporate Member
A knockout piece. I am partial to QSWO, and you used the grain and fleck patterns superbly. What stands out to me is your comment that the hardware cost more than a used whole chest. I'm running into this more often, especially when I'm making jigs. It's a crying shame.
Thanks Wiley. I tried to find a used junker just to “harvest” the old hardware but didn’t see anything at the time that made sense to buy for that purpose. The one I did buy was too nice of condition to tear up.

Attachments

• B5E3E476-1B63-4F6E-BCF0-188CC2CA5070.jpeg
    B5E3E476-1B63-4F6E-BCF0-188CC2CA5070.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 77

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
By the way, I’m in the market for another nearly mint Gerstner if anyone has or finds one for a reasonable price.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS