Looking for Stanley Brace Depth Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm looking for a #47 Stanley Brace Depth Gauge. Anyone seen one advertised anywhere?

Thanks,

- Ken

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is a #49 available here. A very brief comparison of the #49 and #47 is near the bottom of this page.

Thanks for the links Andy. The Woodwrights shop has a #49, so I think I'll make a trip over to Pittsboro on Saturday morning to see what theirs looks like. Ed said he also has a bunch of new handtools in the store so I may pick up something else while I'm there like a dovetail saw.

- Ken.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
If you're into old tools, you're going to have to get use to the Schwartz effect. Christopher Schwartz, the editor of PWW, writes a tool blog, that, when he mentions an old tool, causes its Ebay price to sky rocket. A few months ago, he mentioned that he liked the 47 better than the 49, so now you can't find a 47. Now, since this is a post WW2 tool, there still could be a stock of them in some old hardware store somewhere. A couple of months ago, someone on the Old Tool news list found a bunch of them at a hardware store, cleared them out, keeping one for himself and offering the rest to the group at cost. Sadly I wasn't keeping up with the list regularly and missed out.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you're into old tools, you're going to have to get use to the Schwartz effect. Christopher Schwartz, the editor of PWW, writes a tool blog, that, when he mentions an old tool, causes its Ebay price to sky rocket. A few months ago, he mentioned that he liked the 47 better than the 49, so now you can't find a 47. Now, since this is a post WW2 tool, there still could be a stock of them in some old hardware store somewhere. A couple of months ago, someone on the Old Tool news list found a bunch of them at a hardware store, cleared them out, keeping one for himself and offering the rest to the group at cost. Sadly I wasn't keeping up with the list regularly and missed out.

Yep, I was aware of both things. I've actually wanted one of the #47 gauges since I saw a picture of it in Chris' book on building the Roubo Bench. It was only when he mentioned it in his blog that I knew what the part number was. Anyway it looks like the #49 will suit my purposes just fine for now and Ed's prices at the Woodwrights shop are usually very good.

Come to think of it though, the hardware store connection just gave me an idea. Maybe I should check out Carpenter Feed and Seed as well. A local hardware store and F&S with wooden floors that dates way back. Old pot-belly stove in the main room, etc. A local landmark.

- Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors