Looking for place to spray lacquer

Status
Not open for further replies.

roweathers

New User
Ron
Yep, that's correct. I am looking for a location where I can spray some furniture pieces I made with lacquer paint. I learned the hardway that spraying this stuff in your basement workshop is a bad idea. Stunk up the house in a big way. I am either going to find a suitable place to spray the lacquer or I am going to switch to oil or water-based paints. I live in Cary--so the location will need to nearby.
Many thanks.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Can't help with a spray booth but if you can wait a few weeks you should be able to spray outside. Lots of dry, 65+ degree days in March. If you can't wait suggest switching to a water based finish. Just make sure you have the correct spraygun needle/nozzle for the product. Usually need a slightly bigger opening for the waterbornes for the best coverage.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I'll agree there with the "spraying outside" thing. I've sprayed a bunch of the Magnamax outside, and it didn't seem to have any problems. It cured so fast that dust and pollen weren't an issue. I've even sprayed that one at close to freezing temps, and it cured just fine. We'll see how those pieces hold up over time, but so far, so good.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
In addition to my reply in this thread ..http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f55/what-kind-laquer-varnish-good-spraying-21006/

I had forgot to mention, the UML product dries very quickly ... which is really nice. On a nice day, you could probably get several coats. I too spray outside. I bought a popup canopy (like the picture below) with sides that I use for spraying. For about $150 (or less) I have a makeshift spray booth to keep the leaves and some of the dust/dirt out.
master:NA011.jpg

roweathers

New User
Ron
I will definitely be working outside if I go with the solvent based lacquer, but for now, I am setting that stuff aside and going with the WB lacquer!!! Good idea on the canopy.

Robb Parker

New User
Robb
Too bad so far, you are welcome to my spray booth and Sata guns. Offer extends to Wood Wrangler and others. Almost always available on weekends and sometimes during week when we are not using. Beats outside, no bugs, controlled enviro.
Robb
Heritage Woodwright

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Yep, that's correct. I am looking for a location where I can spray some furniture pieces I made with lacquer paint. I learned the hardway that spraying this stuff in your basement workshop is a bad idea. Stunk up the house in a big way. I am either going to find a suitable place to spray the lacquer or I am going to switch to oil or water-based paints. I live in Cary--so the location will need to nearby.
Many thanks.

If spraying in the basement, go to water-based. The overspray products from both oil and lacquer are highly flammable. The solvents aren't friendly either.

Go

roweathers

New User
Ron
Robb, many thanks for your generous offer. The WoodWrangler and others have led me to the WB products from TargetCoatings. I am in the process of reading several of their papers and info. I am pretty sure I am going to be using WB from here out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS