Logs to Lumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I was able to get some free Magnolia logs recently. I'm not sure what I will make with them but couldn't pass up free wood. This photo shows them ready to take a ride to Beaver Branch Sawmill for Ivey Pridgen to make them into straight lumber.

DSC06001.JPG

Ivey's helper (his wife Donna) loads them onto the sawmill bed.

DSC06002.JPG

Ivey makes straight lumber out of bananna shaped logs.

DSC06003.JPG

All sawed up and put to bed. I didn't have a cover on the top of the wood when this was taked but have one now.

DSC06009.JPG

Ivey wqs able to get more lumber out of these crooked logs than I expected. Great job Ivey and crew. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Now I have to come up with a project for the wood. They would make lots of pen blanks.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
What no chunks for the turner? :wsmile:

Wow, who said that? I must had fallen to the dark side. :wsmile:

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Doland, thanks for the kind words and the pictures.
This was the first time that I had ever sawed any magnolia, cuts like butter!
Doland works pretty good pulling lumber from the green end, wished he would have stayed around a little longer:gar-La;
Dolan it was good to have you over, and It was good to be able to get something out of those logs for you. I know that you will make something purty out of them!:icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great pictures, and congratulations on free lumber (well, free logs anyway). Always fun to see how boards start out in life :) Thanks for sharing.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
You lucked out all the way around, Dolan. Hats off to Ivey, for a job well done.:thumbs_up

JRD

New User
Jim
Great Find!

I've turned a bit of Magnolia and find it a very good wood to work with.
Creamy color with gray streaks from the sugars in the wood.

Makes unusual pens too.

Jim

J

jeff...

:) Looks like Ivey did a good job on those crook branchy logs. Should be lots of curl around those branches, good for pen blanks and small little nic-nack things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors