Log Find

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Im going over to Dave Os tommorow so maybe he knows how to break it down into boards.

The periods after your "cool" make me think this is a common thing? Hehe, i was excited when I saw all that wood.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
We might be able to do something with those. A good excuse for me start up the chainsaw. You will have to let whatever we are able to mill dry for up to a year before you can use it, or make a mini kiln. Sounds fun.
Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Heater, fan, de-humidifier, 2 x 4's and plastic. You want to create an environment where the ambient water vapor content and temperature are conducive to drying the wood.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
What about using my oven? if we cut the pieces small enough, maybe keep them an inch thick so they dont warp but short enough to fit in the oven?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's a possibility, I don't know if an oven has a low enough temperature to prevent drying too fast and case hardening. And you would have to run the oven for several days. Hopefully someone else with more experience in this topic will chime in.

Arcrist

New User
Andy
Wow theres a science to drying wood. I guess our best bet is to cut the logs thick and dry them slow to avoid warping.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Kiln drying is a lot harder than people think. It is not like baking a cake and all kinds of defects emerge from being sawn to the final dried product. When I saw and dry lumber I generally get about 80-90% usable yield with the balance being defects from the wood grain structure (twist, bow, cup etc) These are generally defects that cannot be avoided even with slow drying and weight. Each species has a different drying time and that time is subject to modification due to moisture content. There are steam, dehumidifaction, microwave, solar. My kiln is a conventional heat (electrical). My next kiln will be a solar for the big slabs. Woods that are most susceptable to drying defects are Oaks while walnut and cherry seems to be moderately stable. Pine, poplar and cedar are very stable and dont typically exhibit defects even with harsh treatment.

The most common defects are case hardening, honeycomb and checking. Others defects are cup ,warp and twist but are they more driven by the grain orientation than how fast you dry the wood.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Wow, I had no idea what goes into drying wood:slap: and the problems associated with different woods. I don't think I'm smart enough to figure all that out! That's why we have people like Kyle around to edumacate wood dummies like me:BangHead:
Thanks for sharing,
Randy

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
A lot of good info here. Thanks for sharing the knowledge and making us all a tad bit more informed.

D L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors