Location of Machines in Garage Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc4digital

New User
Update your profile with your name
Well, I get the whole garage. :eusa_danc Now, I have to figure out where to put everything. :-(

Below is a scale image of my garage and the machines I have. Garage Door on left, a Window on bottom, and a house entrance on top right.
{Electrical is not a problem because I will run individual circuits after the machines are put in place.}

If you could please give me your suggestions on where you would put the below items for the best work flow and maybe why that would be great? :eusa_pray

Use Machine Center and Match to Grid Letter
EXAMPLE----
Machine, Grid Letter, Why
Table Saw, M, Easy to get plywood in and out.

Item List:
  • Table Saw>>
  • Planer>>
  • Radial Arm Saw>>
  • Drill Press>>
  • Jointer>>
  • Dust Collector>>
  • Work Bench>>
  • Router Table>>
Image:
Garagesetup.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WB - Z8/Z9 for natural light under window
TS - O/U, needs the most infeed/outfeed support, plus garage can be opened for additonal clearance
RT - Z6/Z7
DC - A, out of the way in the corner
DP - Z11, great to tuck into a corner generally doesn't need a lot of clearance
Planner - C
Jointer - D/E
RAS - R, for ample room to x-cut long stock to manageable size

Don't forget to include wood storage, which can be above the RAS and/or Planner/Jointer.
That is roughtly how I have my shop set up, except I don't have a window :crybaby2: and have machines in front of the garage door (lathe, sharpening station) because I never use it.
HTH, Dave:)

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
I would recommend putting the less noisy tools against the wall the rest of the house is on. Maybe wood storage, drill press, and bandsaw on that side. I used to have my work bench by the wall that had the living on the opposite side. I'd bang on something on the bench and my wife would bang on the wall. :lol:

Glad you were able to overcome and get the whole garage.

Paul

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'd like to add, my suggested layout will work much better with machines like the planner and RT on mobile bases, and it's not layed out for the most ideal work flow, due to the window placement. I think that it is more important to have your bench under the window for good natural light, than saving a few extra steps by having the perfect work triangle.
Dave:)

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
I have a similar situation, the ability to use the whole garage. BUT, my stuff includes the extra fridge. (which I keep my beer in) the extra freezer, the gardening stuff, the pool stuff and my auto mechanic stuff. So, I find that I am slowly putting everything on mobile bases and pull out the more seldom used stuff to use. I do have two layers thick on some walls.

At times I feel like I am playing a game that I remember from growing up. It was a small plastic board that had a matrix of movable squares that were interlocking. There was a picture of something on the front and the object was to get the squares in a logical alignment so the picture made sense. Now, that is how I use my shop!

cc4digital

New User
Update your profile with your name
Thanks Dave---It funny how we all see things diffrently.

I am sure this seems like a crazy topic, but your work flow is more complete than what I was orginally thinking. Thanks again for taking the time and the great suggestion. It has helped me quite a bit :eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS