Lipstick on a pig???

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Still trying to make this box right. I added these feet today, and plan to lower and shorten the handle a little. Am I putting lipstick on a pig and calling my prom date???
Critique desired :icon_thum

Ambrosia_Maple_Padauk_box_008.jpg

Thanks, Dave:)

J

jeff...

I like it, looks fine to me, but of course I never kissed a pig before.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Dave, let me start by saying that that box is no pig! It is very pretty. Since you are asking for opinions, as uncomfortable as it makes me feel, this is my thoughts.

Originally, yes, I thought the handle was too high. Now, in my HUMBLE opinion, the feet look too 'heavy', overpowering the beauty of the ambrosia maple. It just *seems* to overpower the box. I do, however, like the asian influence of the entire box, and the general style of the feet do compliment that.

Nice Work!
Chris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Heavy was my feeling also. It's hard to tell what a moulding is going to look like wrapped around the box until you've machined it and mitered it...then it's too late to trim it down :BangHead:

Dave:)

T

toolferone

I like the shape and design of the feet, but maybe scale them down some. Are they your own design? They are really cool!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like the shape and design of the feet, but maybe scale them down some. Are they your own design? They are really cool!!

Tom, great pic :lol: :lol: :lol: Does she kiss her mother with that mouth 8-O
They are my own design. In which way would you scale them down. If I can "adjust" them with out re-making them I would be very happy. If not, they aren't glued on, and can become feet for a different box.

Last edited:
T

toolferone

My first thought would be to make them small enough to fit under the box with only maybe 1/8" sticking out or having that top bevel hidding under giving off a shadow line making the box look like it is floating just off the base. (I'm thinking this up as I am typing it) as always my .02 cents worth.

T

toolferone

Tom, great pic :lol: :lol: :lol: Does she kiss her mother with that mouth 8-O

Just to make sure you all know this is not my daughter.(my sweet Sophie would never do that:eusa_pray )

A friend just e-mailed that pic last week.

cskipper

Cathy
Well, the handle is still to tall, and the cool feet are a bit overwhelming. You see those two things and then you notice the beautiful box.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
It looks out of the ordinary, not out of prpportion. You, my forumite, are thinking outside the box. :eusa_clap

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I think it will look great, after you put some BLO on it8-O
That should darken up the bottom (feet):eusa_thin

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I think that the base definately improves the overall look of the box. Without the feet, all I could see was the handle. I think that the feet help the overall balance immensely.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
More I look at it, the more I like it...has a Japanese influence.

DaveO,

I really like it, and to be honest it would be a great sword box (to hold sword cleaning supplies) If you are selling it let me know. If you are not selling it I will have to talk to you about how you made it. Be blessed friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS