Light Scratches Repair - How to

MarkDarby

Mark
Corporate Member
Hi,
I have an old set of shelves that were my wife's grandfathers. Overall, they're in great shape. One, however, has light scratches on the surface. None appear to go down to the wood. I "think" the finish is lacquer -- but am not sure. I plan to take a towel with lacquer thinner on it and test a corner. if it is lacquer, I was simply going to use 0000 steel wool and then maybe hit it with another coat. If it's not, I was still going to try the steel wool but then just finish with wax.
Thoughts? Is there any better process?

Mark

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mark, I would start with Denatured Alcohol and test the finish with that first. If it becomes tacky then you have a shellac finish. However, if you start with lacquer thinner it will react with both. Not knowing the age of the piece, I always start with the milder solvent, and then proceeded from there. Good luck!

jlimey

Jeff
Corporate Member
Hi,
I have an old set of shelves that were my wife's grandfathers. Overall, they're in great shape. One, however, has light scratches on the surface. None appear to go down to the wood. I "think" the finish is lacquer -- but am not sure. I plan to take a towel with lacquer thinner on it and test a corner. if it is lacquer, I was simply going to use 0000 steel wool and then maybe hit it with another coat. If it's not, I was still going to try the steel wool but then just finish with wax.
Thoughts? Is there any better process?

Mark
Mark,

if not too many scratches, you can get touch up pens which are close to the color of the finish. This might be substantially less work than a coat of laquer.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yes -start with alcohol to see if it is shellac. If not then if you can test for polyurethane, Varnish and Lacquer – Use a cotton Q tip or swab with acetone on it and apply to the wood in a hidden or area not visible normally to the piece. If it becomes tacky, then it is shellac or varnish and if it beads up , it has a polyurethane finish. If it is lacquer, it will dissolve almost completely.
You should practise with known finishes so you become familiar and know what you are looking at.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS