Lidded Things

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
Hi Ya'll (did I spell that right?)

My wife was looking for a small box for a hank of granddaughter's hair,of course,other daughter needed one too.

Came up with these Pink Ivory boxes with threaded insert.
First is 1.25x1.75, second one is 1.75x2.25.

Pink_Ivory_Box_1.jpg

Pink_Ivory_Box_2.jpg

Pink_Ivory_Box_Open.jpg

Another box, Jarrah Burl 3"x3"

Jarrah_Burl_Box_3x3.jpg

Critiques welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Phil.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Those are really nice boxes.

Do you use any special tools when you turn these small boxes? Where did you get the threaded inserts (if you don't mind sharing your source)?

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Really nice. I really enjoy your work, it inspires me when I have a "design change" that requires my projects to be smaller.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
nice turnings and great woods
I've turned some pink ivory that came out very well
how was the jarrah to work with?
I've seen people somehow cut threads on turnings for burial urns and use pvc piping and those sure look nicer than the pvc imho (not that there's anything wrong with pvc). I could come closer to fitting an insert than cutting threads I imagine

Sir Chiz

New User
Phil
Thanks Y'all ! :wink_smil

I got the threaded inserts from Woodcraft a while back, not sure if they still carry them, I know Packard Woodworking and Lee Valley carry them, I'll see if I can find some links.

These don't require any special tools, but I use Sorby's 2mm parting tool and box scraper.

The Jarrah was pretty dry and dusty, but I like look of it. Some times a void will show up along a rim, but it's easy enough to fix with sanding dust and CA.
Design changes are my specialty, :wink_smil a troo Scotsmun wastes nuthin yaknoo. :mrgreen:

Lee Valley: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32874&cat=1,330,43243

Packard : http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Proj-supp-other-tr

Thanks again!

MacChiz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS