Learning to turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmiller

New User
Rich
I'm new to the site and want to learn about turning. I've done it once in a class I took but want more. Anyone have any advice where to head?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site Rich! Glad you found us.

Unfortunately you are kind of in a bit of a "dry zone" there for access to Klingspore, woodcraft or other "shops" that would attract classes you can take.

1. Where did you take the class?
2. Do you have a lathe and tools?
3. What attracted you to lathe work (pens, bowls, spindle turning, furniture pieces etc.)

The web is a huge resource for learning these days.
Self-teaching and practice is important.
I enjoyed the Richard Raffan books and videos.
But, I understand sometimes you need a little guidence and that "second set of eyes" for "Why did this go wrong?"

I took a look at www.woodturningonline.com and came up with the following;

Tennessee
Cookeville Turners Club
John Lucas - johnclucas@charter.net
Meet in Cookeville, 3rd Tuesday of each month

Duck River Woodturners

www.duckriverwoodturners.com
South Central TN and Northern AL
Mid-South Woodturners Guild
http://midsouthwoodturners.com
Memphis Area

Smoky Mountain Woodturners

Dave Harding - daveharding@msn.com
Meet in the Knoxville Woodcraft Store

TN Association of Woodturners

www.tnwoodturners.org
Meet in Brentwood, 1st Tuesday of each month

Tri State Woodturners

www.tristatewoodturners.com/
Southeast TN, Northwest GA and Northeast AL
Tuckessee Woodturners
Telephone: (931) 362-3669
Charles R Putnam
Clarksville, TN and Hopkinsville, KY

Upper Cumberland Woodturners

Jake Neidling, President - jake.niedling@alcoa.com
Meet in Crossville, TN
West Tennessee Woodturners
www.wtnwoodturners.com/
Meet in Jackson, TN

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Buy an eight foot whitewood 2" x 4". Rip it down the center and then cut it into about 8" lengths. Spend the day practicing every lathe cut that you know, at the end of the day you will be a much better turner. Visit carolinamountainwoodturners.org. Our meetings in Asheville are FREE! Our auction on November 21 is a good place to purchase lathes, tools, wood, and books. Welcome

Rmiller

New User
Rich
Thanks for info...currently I don't own a lathe, but want one and I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead a make the big leap to a really good lathe, say $2500+ range or start small. I don't want to do what I did with all my other tools (wishing I bought better/bigger). I know I'll like it.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Whatever lathe you decide to purchase: buy variable speed! If you can't afford VSpeed, wait until you can. There are several operations that are best done without a STOP between speed changes. Apply friction polish at a slow speed and quickly go to highest speed possible to cure or friction the polish. Make it SMOKE. This needs to happen before alcohol in finish evaporates.

When spinning out of balance large blanks, start slow, as wood is removed, gradually increase speed to just below the vibration point. That is mostly impossible with stepped pulleys. Have fun, join a club, find a mentor, take a class. Money spent early for education will save you MUCH money later. Half of the tools in chisel sets you will never use. Learn to properly sharpen early in your lathe career, The price of your lathe is about 25 to 33% of a turning setup cost. Attend a woodturning symposium, that will open your eyes. Arrowmont in Gatlinburg has wonderful classes

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I started turning about 3 years ago and bought the Delta 46-460. So far I haven't found a need to upgrade, but I don't do a lot of complicated or very large turnings. If you buy this lathe and later decide you would like something bigger, it will be very easy to sell.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I started turning about 10 years ago. The one thing I came to realize very quickly is in turning, like lots of other things, you get what you pay for. Lathes, lathe chisels, chucks etc. You can spend $2500 for a good lathe and an additional $2500 on the extras. So its a lot to lay out. What is it you would like to turn?. Bowls? Spindles?. This is what you need to decide going in.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I started turning around 30 years ago. My first lathe cost $30 and I used a screwdriver for a turning tool. I made a faceplate out of plywood and a steel nut. I turned a bowl, several spindles, and made a toy train.

I once used a drill press and a screwdriver to make handles for tools at a place I worked.

Now I have a big old lathe with a new variable speed reversible drive and lots of tools, chuck with different jaws, steel faceplates, drill chuck for the tail stock, and lots of calipers and dividers to check thickness and length.

Start any way you can and advance as you are able. The main thing is get started and stay with it.

Rmiller

New User
Rich
I feel I can pick out a good lathe, what don't have confidence in is buying all the other "stuff" you need, chucks, which I see thru looking at numerous videos are endless, turning tools, sanding and polishing stuff, etc. this is where good advice could save me money. Thx for the help.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Rich,
To reiterate, you should decide what it is you want to make with your lathe so we can best assist you in your choices

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Bowls, boxes, some table legs such as coffee or hall tables, etc

OK Rich, my advice would be buy a decent Oneway 4 jaw chuck, a 1/2" bowl gouge (probably sorby or that quality level), a Parting tool, a 3/4" spindle roughing gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge and a skew to start. you will also need some sort of grinder, be it wet or dry and the right jigs to grind consistenly helps.

StephenK

New User
Stephen
Curtis Buchanan lives in Jonesborough. I don't think he does turning classes though. If I lived in Greeneville, I'd swing by his shop every chance I had.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
+1 Chris Goris recommendations.
That's where I've ended up after a couple years of testing the waters.
I'd add a good heavy bowl scraper to the list of tools, if you plan to do many bowls.
And I hardly ever use the 3/8 spindle gouge.

The tools are the only thing I've bought new.
The Oneway Stronghold I got used from a member here.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
OK Rich, my advice would be buy a decent Oneway 4 jaw chuck, a 1/2" bowl gouge (probably sorby or that quality level), a Parting tool, a 3/4" spindle roughing gouge, a 3/8" spindle gouge and a skew to start. you will also need some sort of grinder, be it wet or dry and the right jigs to grind consistenly helps.

Exactly.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
the Easy Wood Tools 'Easy Chuck' is the best chuck on the market, go put you hands on it. 9 jaw sets changeable in 30 seconds, quick adjusting zoom ring, solid body, impeccable quality, 100% Made in America. Nothing else comes close.

here's a link, do yourself the favor:

Easy Chuck & Jaws

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rich,
we have a lathe called "the good will lathe" that we donate to beginners.
I think it is a Rikon, with a grinder tools etc.

I am not sure if there are any restrictions (time in the group etc. - hopefully someone else will jump in and let us know)
then you just have to request it and wait in line.

Below is an old post, but you get the gist!

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37571&highlight=donation+lathe

Last edited:

Rmiller

New User
Rich
Thanks for info, I went to the site they look great. Assume one starts with basic jaws and buy others as needed? What about their chisels. I could buy a lot of replacement tips for price of T7 with accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS