Lathe boring jig updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
LOML wanted some wooden curtain rods for our front windows. Problem is, they only came 8' long & the window was 9' + to outside of casing. So I needed to splice 2 rods together to make the length. I'm using a splined rod, so it has to align fairly straight. Here's how I built a jig to line bore the rods for a dowel glue up:

First, I took 4 pieces of PW 10" x 10" and cut a 'v' notch in the center that coincided with the height of the bed tube on my Craftsman lathe. I then cut a dado in each piece to spline them together & drilled leveling screw holes in the 4 base points.

After that I squared the bases with the lathe bed & spotted register points on the bases. The upper supports were then registered to the base by placing the drill bit back into the thru hole drilled at the spindle center & sliding the v up to it. A notch was then made in the bottom of the upper support to clear the bed tube & the base v was lowered for larger stock.

A slot and corresponding hole were drilled in each set using a 3/8" router bit in the drill press for height adjustment. Then a stretcher was added & here it is:

To set up, I chucked the piece to be turned in and adjusted the headstock end to seat the piece in the 'v'. I then used 2 try square heads on one ruler to establish this height off the bed. Moving the tailstock end to the same height produced a seat for the piece that was in line with the centerline of the headstock axis. And we're ready to drill!

I thank you for looking & hope you find this useful.

Last edited:

sawduster

New User
Robert
It is amazing what falls out of peoples' brains on this site :eek:

I had to read it 3 times just to understand it :icon_scra ....and forget me thinking of something like that on my own :nah:

Good work ! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS