latest work part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
This is larger than I have been working but I did the drawing 5 years ago and decided it needed to finally get done. The carving measures 29" x 11 1/2" and is carved from 4/4 basswood.

The branch branch is painted with watercolors and the lichens were sculpted using modeling paste. The owl was painted with acrylics which is a new effort for me as I usually use oils. The feathers were difficult because I was trying not to use burrs or woodburners. Just trying to see how far I can carry the carving by hand deal. The background was painted using artist oils.

I was trying for that deep forest, misty or foggy look that you see in early morning or dusk. I must admit that it is a great deal of fun to experiment with the paint....mess up and you can paint over it...can't put wood back after its carved! Every carving has its problems but they are getting better. Well its on to the next one. Hope you like this one.

Mark Strom
www.stromcarver.com

tawny_owl.jpg

twny_owl_detail.jpg

stave

New User
stave
Thanks so much for the support. I spend most all of my creative time alone, deliver my work and then receive a check in the mail. I do not get much feedback (except from my worst critic...the wife) so I definitely appreciate the comments I receive here.
Thanks again,

Stave

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
FANTASTIC!!

"Skillfully perceptive!"

stave

New User
stave
Thank you all so much! I received a call yesterday and the carving has been sold AND they want 3 more versions expressing in total the four seasons. That made my day to put it mildly....little snoopy dance in the snow to celebrate.

Stave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS