Latest project - walnut shelves

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Just finished these nic-nac shelves for the bedroom wall. Walnut, a couple of coats of BLO, 2 coats of amber shellac, then for ease of application, I switched to clear spray shellac. Sanded to 400 grit with about 4 coats spray shellac.

The grain really popped out nice. And no, I did not do the other furniture, just the shelves. LOML doesn't always wait when I say "I can build that". Like that never happens to anyone else :no:

IMG_5395.JPG

View image in gallery

Thanks for looking! Now on to the cherry entertainment center as soon as we decide on a design!
Dan

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dan great looking finish. Nicely done.:eusa_clap I love it when the grain "pops" like we want it to.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Dan,

Very, very, nice. Great finish, and I like the Geo pattern as well.

How long did it take, once you started the finishing part of project?

M

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Dan,

Very, very, nice. Great finish, and I like the Geo pattern as well.

How long did it take, once you started the finishing part of project?

M

Matt,
dry fitted everything then took it apart and finished it. did the BLO one weekend, then the next weekend finished up the shellac. 2 coats amber shellac with sanding between and then 3 coats spray clear shellac. It drys in an hour so I did that all same day. next day I assembled the shelves (12 overlapping joints - glue and a screw from behind). Then final sanding with 400 grit and one final spray coat of shallac. So short answer - 2 weekends.

I had never done that finish, but I liked the way it looked. Since the spray shellac is de-waxed, if I needed a harder finish on another project, I could add a final coat of polyurethane. Good learning experience for me.

Dan

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Beautiful shelves, Dan. :eusa_danc How are they attached to the wall?

Bill

Thanks Bill. I wanted to keep the feeling of it floating on the wall, so on the top shelf (mostly out of sight) I attached a 1 inch board to the top of it, insetting it into each of the 3 vertical rails. Then I lag screwed thru this board to 2 studs. The weight is carried evenly by the joints with the vertical rails, though it was not that heavy anyway.

Dan

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
:cool: You do nice work, Dan. Can't you just enlarge the scale for you entertainment center? :wconfused:

Sully

New User
jay
Very nice! I enjoy organic designs like this. If my wife sees this, I'm sure it will go on the list.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I REALLY like that design Dan. Excellent work! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS