Laser pointer for Boring tool - cad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
I looked off and on for months to find an economical quality laser pointer or, sight to use with my vessel boring tool. I basically gave up a while back because all I found that was a decent price only came with a momentary switch.

If you did find one with a on/off switch, it was rediculously expensive. I just couldnt justify this to myself to spend $75 on a laser pointer with this kind of switch. So I opted for the weed eater string.

Well the other day, I did a looksee again on the web, and lo and behold found a company that sells pointers and components for them. I was happy bout that. But my limited knowledge of lasers kept me from buying just the laser module, the ones I had seen always had a circuit board attached which I later learned this controlled current and kept the module from burning out.

A little more looking and I discovered this site had "educational kits". The top that off, they were only $20. I ordered one. Now this one comes also with a momentary switch, but I talked to a rep of the company and he said it would not be a problem to put a toggle switch in its place.

This is what I did and now have it attached to my vessel boring tool. I only had one place I could put the switch, and it has to be the tiniest micro switch Radio Shack sells. You have to bypass the momentary and solder the switch in series inside the unit. It was a real tight fit and it sticks out right next to the only mounting hole in the unit, but it does fit and works great with the boring tool.

I have a couple pictures of this in my gallery. I reamed out the enclosure mounting hole to accept my 10-32 knob screw, and fasten the unit to the end of the rod.

cad

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cad, Great job modifying that laser pointer to meet your needs. You just made your innovative boring tool that much more hi-tech.:icon_thum Any idea how long the laser/battery will last with the way you have it set up?

D L

Handturnedbowls

New User
James Holland
Mike Davis said:
Another great idea for a great tool. Good Job!

I was just thinking...what if you got one of those Radio Shack universal transformers and soldered the wires to the battery terminals? Then you could run full time without bothering to change batteries.

Thanks Mike, no I just fitted the sight to it this morning. I thought it a good idea to keep the forum current with my actual methods and snapped the pics as soon as I had it secure.

Will be sure to let you know. I think the product info at the site tells it. But since it uses 2 AAA batteries I am not too worried about that...yet.

Will keep this thread posted with any developments as I use it.

Darn, I forgot it may help to post the name of the site I got it from.

lasermate.com

cad

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Now your boring tools isn't so boring..it's got a laser light show. A great addition to a well designed tool.

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS