Laminate for my router table

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
Does anyone in the Raleigh/Clayton area happen to have a 1/2 sheet of laminate they need to dispose of? I'd like to have a 4x4 sheet (that I can cut in half) for the top and bottom of my router table top.

Or any recommendations of where I can find it a less expensive price than I saw at Lowes this morning ($44 for a full sheet).

Thought I'd ask here before I went back to Lowes.

Thanks

Monty

New User
Monty
When I went to Lowe's, there was a sheet that had a broken off corner (OK, Rob -- honest, it was there before I got there!!!), and they let me have it for about ½ price, IIRC.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Got a color preference? I often pick up laminate at Habitat for Humanity store on Alwin Court. Exactly what size do you need? Do both sides have to be same color? I'll try to remember to check and see what I have in storage. Web-Don sells laminate, but it is cheaper to buy through Home Depot. You might call them and see if they have some discontinued patterns that they would sell. TIP-TIP! If you have a roll of laminate that has been rolled up for a long time, the simplest way to flatten it is to iron the backside. Cotten setting, no steam.

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
Monty said:
When I went to Lowe's, there was a sheet that had a broken off corner (OK, Rob -- honest, it was there before I got there!!!), and they let me have it for about ½ price, IIRC.

Do you think you could swing by the Lowes at 40/42 and "fix" ;-) one of the corners for me?

I did notice a sheet this morning that had a bad edge - might need to go back and make a plea.

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
junquecol said:
Got a color preference? I often pick up laminate at Habitat for Humanity store on Alwin Court. Exactly what size do you need? Do both sides have to be same color? I'll try to remember to check and see what I have in storage. Web-Don sells laminate, but it is cheaper to buy through Home Depot. You might call them and see if they have some discontinued patterns that they would sell. TIP-TIP! If you have a roll of laminate that has been rolled up for a long time, the simplest way to flatten it is to iron the backside. Cotten setting, no steam.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
I'd like the top to be white - don't really care what color the underside piece is. I need two pieces about 24"x41". Also, thanks for the heads up regarding the Habitat for Humanity store - I'll try to touch base with them as well.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
junquecol said:
TIP-TIP! If you have a roll of laminate that has been rolled up for a long time, the simplest way to flatten it is to iron the backside. Cotten setting, no steam.

Thanks Bruce, now that is the kind of tip I have been looking for.:eusa_danc I have a 4x8 sheet of laminate that was rolled up for a good while. When I crosscut it to 48" it still had a heck of a bow in it. I'll give your iron tip a shot. Hopefully I can finally add the laminate to my out-feed table.

D L

T

toolferone

There are a couple of counter top builders in the phone book. I would call them and see if they would sell you a piece you need. They might have some left over from a big job, but not enough for a whole counter.

M

McRabbet

Monty said:
I appreciate hearing about that, Monty -- next time I'm at Lowe's and see a broken corner on some laminate, I'll just let them know that Monty was here! :lol: Ironically, I've been looking to cinch one of these deals for several weeks because I need some for my mitersaw fences and other shop surfaces.

Rob

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
Monty said:

Thanks for the advice, Monty. I went to Lowes today and got a discount on a chipped 4x8 sheet of laminate:eusa_danc

Monty

New User
Monty
Good to know it worked out for you. Now you'll have to show us pics of your nice new laminated router table! :cool:

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
I did one better than any of you. I picked up two piece at the trash dump, glued them together and now have the beginnings of a nice router top. I live out in the county and just happened to see one piece sticking out the top of the container. Couldn't resist looking further. The two pieces were taken out of a house when new tops went in. Cabinet top is the size needed for Norm's router he sells the plans for. Top is against the wall waiting for a new cabinet.
Are we having fun yet?:rolf:

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
lwhughes149 said:
I did one better than any of you. I picked up two piece at the trash dump, glued them together and now have the beginnings of a nice router top. I live out in the county and just happened to see one piece sticking out the top of the container. Couldn't resist looking further. The two pieces were taken out of a house when new tops went in. Cabinet top is the size needed for Norm's router he sells the plans for. Top is against the wall waiting for a new cabinet.
Are we having fun yet?:rolf:

That's definitely a better deal:icon_thum . By the way, what's the best way to cut the laminate - I tried a section by scoring with a utility knife - didn't score deeply enough and messed up a section. I still have plenty to get what I need, but I don't want to mess up again.

So...should I use the utility knife but keep cutting until I get almost all the way through or can you cut this stuff with a circular saw (and if so - do you cut with the good side up or down?)

Monty

New User
Monty
I used the laminate cutter that Lowe's sells. It's in the laminate section, right next to the laminate adhesives. It's like a utility knife, only MUCH thicker. Hold a straightedge down firmly where you want it (I used a metal ruler, placed about ½" outside of the mark to give room for error), then score the sheet with several passes of the cutter. Good side up. First pass light, second pass stronger, then really crank on it for a couple more passes - should snap right off after that.

jbrewer

John
Corporate Member
Monty said:
I used the laminate cutter that Lowe's sells. It's in the laminate section, right next to the laminate adhesives. It's like a utility knife, only MUCH thicker. Hold a straightedge down firmly where you want it (I used a metal ruler, placed about ½" outside of the mark to give room for error), then score the sheet with several passes of the cutter. Good side up. First pass light, second pass stronger, then really crank on it for a couple more passes - should snap right off after that.

Thanks - looks like I'm headed back to Lowe's again - problem is that I always leave with more than what I went to purchase!

Monty

New User
Monty
Don't get me wrong, I don't see any reason why you can't use a utility knife. The laminate knife is just much stronger so you can bear down on it. You can use a circular saw too, but you have to cut with the good side facing down, of course.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Monty said:
Don't get me wrong, I don't see any reason why you can't use a utility knife. The laminate knife is just much stronger so you can bear down on it. You can use a circular saw too, but you have to cut with the good side facing down, of course.

By far the easiest way to cut laminate is with a circular saw. It's hard to get a straight cut bearing down a on a utility knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS