Laguna LT24 Belt Replacement COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
It's been almost a year now that I've been moaning in some form or another about the squealing screech given off by my Laguna LT24 as it started up under full tension. Not sure that it impacted performance at all, but it was rather annoying and definitely not doing anything favorable.

So at IWF 2008 in Atlanta I discussed the issue with the Laguna engineers. They provided a couple of recommendations, but none seemed to resolve the problem. The closest to do it was using belt conditioner, but honestly that just made things super sticky in there and after it wore off the squealing was back.

FINALLY this past Sunday Mike (Shamrock) came over and gave me a hand. Laguna had sent me a new belt (at no charge) and some instructions on how to get this bottom wheel off so I could actually change the belt. Before this I had contradicting information on how to get it off and just wasn't too clear. In the end, it was rather simple ... remove a bolt on the backside of the saw, loosen the alignment bolts, and pull it off. No gear puller was required (as initially thought), but due to a customization I had made on my saw I had to remove the doors.

So far, the squeel is gone ... hopefully it stays that way! So ... WOOHOO!:icon_thum :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Thanks for your help Mike! :thumbs_up

And some pictures for anyone in the future who reference this ...

1. Remove bolt from the center of this on the back, and loosen the side bolts by 1/4 of a turn.

2. Loosen the motor bolts to remove tension from the belt. There are two bolts on the motor holding it in place. Push down on the back/right side of the motor to disengage the belt.

3. Pull the wheel off and clean it.

4. Clean the inside of the saw. I cleaned the track where the belt goes and even used some 100grit sandpaper to remove any crud in there.

5. Install the new belt and re-install the wheel.

Note: The new belt I received was 3-4" longer than the original. It was also a ribbed belt, whereas the original was not. The extra length made for a required mod I hadn't planned on.

This shows the new belt and the old belt.

Due to the extra length of the belt, the bolt used to tension it actually became taller than the bolt used as a 90 degree stop. So, the hacksaw came out to trip it up a little. Simple enough.

6. The wheel should be bolted back on, and make sure to re-adjust 1/4" turn to tighten each of the four alignment bolts on the back. And remember to tension the belt, and tighten the motor tight onto the saw. That's it!

More pictures here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1418

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That looks like it was a LOT of work. My MM squeals a bit at startup, but I will try tightening the belt before I go through all that!!

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
That looks like it was a LOT of work. My MM squeals a bit at startup, but I will try tightening the belt before I go through all that!!

It wasn't really that bad ... I probably thought more about it then the time it actually took to do. If the squeal is gone ... then I'll be happy! Time will tell!

J

jeff...

Jim and I this past weekend replaced both band wheel belts, both sets of guide bearings (4), the idle side wheel bearing and the lube swivel on the Wood Mizer. After a few tweaks and test cuts shes cutting like a champ again... That tannic acid in green Red Oak will tear some metal up (including sealed bearings).

BTW - a little WD40 will cure a squeaky drive belt (old mechanics trick).

Thanks

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Jeremy-glad to hear(or not) that the squeak is gone-let me know when you start to miss it and I can come back over and we can put the old belt back on!:gar-La;

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
Good to hear. By the way our tech said you'd need to replace the belt. I forgot to get back to you.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Glad to hear you got the noisy guy under control. I have a Laguna LT18 that has performed great since 2001 without a hitch. I am even more pleased that Laguna sent you a belt at no charge. I have read too many stories of folks bashing Laguna for one reason or another and this is a great example of excellent customer service.
Stay safe and watch those fingers. :wink_smil

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Glad to hear you got the noisy guy under control. I have a Laguna LT18 that has performed great since 2001 without a hitch. I am even more pleased that Laguna sent you a belt at no charge. I have read too many stories of folks bashing Laguna for one reason or another and this is a great example of excellent customer service.
Stay safe and watch those fingers. :wink_smil

I too have read that, but have not experienced it. I think it's the old problem businesses run into ... if a user has a good experience, they usually tell few. But when they have a bad experience, they tell everyone!

Laguna was very helpful and communicated with me regularly to get the issue resolved. In fact, at IWF when I brought it up they called over the chief engineer and he gave me his card personally if his recommendations didn't do the trick.

They even offered to put together detailed picture instructions if the words weren't enough (but this wasn't needed, it was fairly simple).

Now ... if I could just get them to offer me some of the ceramic inserts for my guide system that have been broken! :wwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS