Laguna JX|8 vs. Jet JWJ-8HH Jointer

JonBuildsThings

New User
Jon
Hi all,

I'm looking to pick up an 8" helical head jointer in the near(ish) future. I've largely narrowed it down to either the Laguna JX|8 or the Jet JWJ-8HH. Curious to hear personal experience with either and/or both. I've seen some mixed reviews on the Laguna and their customer service, but I've been quite happy with my P|Flux dust collector and A|Flux air cleaner, and have also enjoyed my usage of a friend's Jet jointer. The Laguna is also on sale for the next week, so I'm hoping to make a decision (even if it's not to buy a Laguna) while that's still discounted.

Open to other suggestions as well, but Powermatic is a bit more than I'm ready to spend at the moment, and my experience with Grizzly tools (especially the jointer) has been subpar, not to mention the shipping hassles. I've been casually keeping an eye on various marketplaces, but haven't seen anything that strikes me as a great deal to date, and if I'm not going to save much money I'd rather have a warranty to go with my purchase. I've also considered a J/P combo machine, but again, more than I'd prefer to spend at the moment, and I really don't want to lose the jointer table length/planer width. I have a DW735 with a Byrd head in it, which suits my casual use case for the time being.

Thanks!

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
I have no complaints with my jet. It has only had light use in 5 years. Cutter blades still like new.
Set up and adjustments are easy.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have a Delta 8" but I installed a Laguna JX|8 helical head in it. Pretty easy adaptation. 56 cutter inserts. cuts amazingly smooth

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
no experinece with either but Laguna CS seems to have turned around. I botched up one of my bandsaw wheels and they let me send it back to them and they fixed it. Wasn't free or cheap but they were pretty helpful and responsive.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I have the 12” Laguna jointer and absolutely love it. I’ve also got their 16” planer. I realize my experience with their CS may be unusual, but I’ve never had a problem and have had good experiences.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS