Kyle was right about persimmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie s

New User
Charles
A week or so ago I posted a query about the practicality of milling up some persimmon. Kyle said he charged an extra blade fee for milling persimmon because it is so hard. I cut down a small one today and I have to say he's dead on target; it really slowed down my chainsaw so I know it'd be a bear to mill up.

I did drop two pretty large walnuts and 4 decent chestnut trees to be milled up. Before anyone challenges me about the chestnut, it's Chinese, not American. I'm still very optimistic it's going to be beautiful lumber but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

I've heard the walnut stumps are valuable; does anyone have any advice on what to do with them?

Thanks,

Charlie S

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
Good luck in sawing the walnut and chestnut. Keep us posted on the C. chestnut, I've wondered what it would be like. As for the walnut stumps, the first big task will be getting them out of the ground :eusa_thin , you're on your own on that one. We took out a maple stump this summer with a track hoe, and that took all of the work out of it. I cleaned the dirt off the stump (best I could), then worked it down into managable chunks with the chainsaw. I flattened a good side on each chunk with hand planes, then ripped them up on the bandsaw. I cut most of it into squares for chisel handles and such. Some of it has nice curly figure and will be good winter project material.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Friday I cut (had cut) a sassfras tree about 2' in diameter and probably 25' high that was in my way. Boy is that beautiful wood! The heart was blood red, much like the heart of popular is sometimes purple. Now to figure out what to make with it. This is my first time to work with sassfras so it will be interesting.
Jim in Mayberry

J

jeff...

You may just get the sudden urge to drink some root beer, you may want to anticipate this and buy yourself a few bottles just in case. Back long ago, when root beer was the first created "soft" drink, sassafras root was dug up and boiled, honey was added and was fermented with yeast. The end product was the sweetest most gratifying creamy legal moon shine there was (root beer). But someone claimed it causes cancer so we don't enjoy real root beer today. Unless you make your own. :drunken_s. Yep root beer was created right here in the good old USA about 160 years ago, by some good ole southern Virginia boys:icon_thum. So next time you sit down with a root beer, think of how it might have tasted back then. Nothing at all like today, not even close and the rest is history

Oh by the way Kyle has been right on everything He's told me, He's a sawyer and knows his stuff.

Thanks

gator

George
Corporate Member
A week or so ago I posted a query about the practicality of milling up some persimmon. Kyle said he charged an extra blade fee for milling persimmon because it is so hard. I cut down a small one today and I have to say he's dead on target; it really slowed down my chainsaw so I know it'd be a bear to mill up.
Charlie S

Before Titanium and all the other alloys, there was a reason that the 'woods' in a golf club set were called 'woods'. They were made of the finest persimmon.

George

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
yup, my old golf bag still has persimmon woods in there. NOT painted, either. They look good, but need some minor repair, so they have been retired...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS