Kobalt - gas cylinder instead of compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I am about to reengage in some trim work, both here at home, as well as for a friend, and this of course leads to tool questions.

Background:
I do not own any pneumatic guns or compressor; the electric brad nailer I do have is a disappointment. If speed were the only issue, I would not consider purchasing new tools for this task. However my experience is that nail guns actually improve the quality of my trim work (and quality is always an issue with my work!) because I can hold it right and nail it in place in one swift motion.

I do not foresee using a compressor for much else - despite it many 'potential' uses. Note that in some of these peripheral tool areas I am a minimalist. For core WW stuff I try to acquire quality tools once, although most have been CL specials I have not regretted that.

Tool choices:
- a PC compressor and finish nailer package is about $250 (or $280 with brad nailer and narrow crown stapler). Other packages are out there too, but it seems like $200 is a floor price.

Here's an alternative that I am considering: Lowe's also carries a Kobalt brand regulator for use with a compressed gas cylinder ($90 + $35 for 20 oz refillable cylinder). I have seen decent reviews on this in a tool mag when it came out a few years ago. Cheaper initial outlay - but obviously more expensive if used a lot. I have read that paintball places refill cylinders a lot cheaper though.

The big advantage to the cylinder and regulator is the noise level (no compressor) and easy portability (cylinder and regulator are belt mounted).

So has anyone used this? Anyone else think this would be a useful tool for those somewhat rare occasions (for me) when I use pneumatic guns. If I go this route I might consider one of the HF guns that I have heard are a good value and hold up well. I'll post that question in a separate post though.

Henry

rick7938

New User
Rick
Henry, with all due respect, I just can't imagine not having at least a small compressor. Yes, they are a little noisy, but if you put the compressor outside, and buy an extra length of air hose, the noise is almost negligible. HF has a small, oil-lubricated compressor that I use with all of my nailers, and it works great. Oil lubed compressors are somewhat quieter than oilless compressors. You can carry the compressor with one hand and move it to where it is needed. I can just see myself starting a project and finding my gas cylinder low thus causing me to have to go find a supplier, and it is Sunday with no one open ... etc. ... etc. ... etc. I know my luck.

Just my humble opinion. Good luck on what ever you decide.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
not a big fan of this technology, if there is a leak in your connections, the useful life of the cylinder goes WAY down. Consider the Kobalt package available at Lowes which includes a 1/2hp 2 gallon compressor with an 18 g brad nailer, you could then ad additional larger finish nailers from the HF selection if needed. FWIW, i bought one of these packages for my old store, and we put the little machine to some serious work, driving finish nails and upholstery staples to repair merchandise, as well as blowing out computers and keyboards. useful little machine, for about the cost of the cannister/regulator

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
When I need to be portable I fill my 10 gal tire inflator tank to about 125 psi and use it. I have installed a regulator and a quick connect air fitting to it and just plug in a hose of the length that I need and then plug my nail gun into that. I can get quite a few shots (never counted) with it before the pressure drops to where it won't drive the nails anymore. Then I go fill it back up at my compressor again. I've never needed anything more portable than this.

Charley

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
I got one for Christmas, meaning I bought it and said "this is my present". I've got my pancake compressor bolted to the shop wall, and it's a pain to get down for little trim jobs. I've only used the Kobalt regulator once, but was happy with the results. Simple, easy and light weight. We'll see over time if the tank slowly leaks.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
We'll see over time if the tank slowly leaks.

Dan, my concern is not whether the tank leaks or not, but that the connections themselves would leak, which would reduce usefulness on a job site. It has been some time since I looked at these, but my impression was that they are not user refillable?

ehpoole

Ethan
I assume we are actually discussing the compressed liquified CO2 canisters available at Lowes and elsewhere. They have a screw-on regulator and can be hung from a belt.

These cylinders are not user refillable but can be refilled at most any location that carries paint-ball gun accessories, as well as other businesses that deal in liquified CO2 (e.g. welding gases).

You'll always want to keep a spare canister on hand as you can not remove a partially filled container for refilling until all the CO2 is consumed or bled-off (think CO2 powered air rocket!).

I seriously considered one of these last summer when I was looking at purchasing a set of nailers and a compressor, but by the time one buys the regulator (~$90-100) plus a couple of cylinders I would have been paying out easily $150+ for just this part. For $279 I was able to buy a Bostitch compressor kit with 3 nailers -- which ultimately clenched the deal for me.

For those with a greater need for portability -- especially where long hose runs would be required -- I can see these units being a real bargain and productivity booster. But for operation within 50-100 feet of a compressor, a traditional compressor-nailer kit wins out IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS