Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have tried a few kitchen type knives - very simple ones. I bought the blades and attached the handles. I have no pictures of these (yet?).

What specifically are you interested in? Pictures? Trying a few? New design ideas?

henry

clowman

Clay Lowman
What specifically are you interested in? Pictures? Trying a few? New design ideas?

Ive been meaning to ask for a while. I See people selling "knife blanks" and wondered what styles people made, and, what price ranges they were. The links chris provided are super nice... He's right, the price match his work.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Clay, there was a couple articles in the most recent issue of Woodcraft Mag. on knife making. I have the issue if you would like to look at it.
Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Clay, there was a couple articles in the most recent issue of Woodcraft Mag. on knife making. I have the issue if you would like to look at it.

Thanks Dave, I'd love to take a peek at those. I was just a bit curious about what styles there were, how they looked, the usual.. seeing if there was any excuse to get a new tool 8-O

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I'll round it up and get it to you some how. I believe it mentioned several kits that could be obtained thru Woodcraft....'magine that :eusa_thin

BTW, there is always an excuse to get a new tool, there just isn't always the spousal understanding and forgiveness

Dave:)

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Clay, there are many custom knifemakers out ther and a web search will find them. Some of the more famous names are Randall, Lyle, and Loveless. Custom knives seem to start at $200. I have found that it takes an 8 hr day to make one (8 x $25 = $200). What you pay for is the skill in the grinding and the expert finishing work. Mass produced blades are available for $10 to $60. All you have to do then is to install handles. There are how to books available. Look in Barnes & Noble for knife magazines. They show styles and makers.
The handle assembly is easy for a good woodworker. The major tool you need is a narrow(1" or 2") belt sander. A 6" will work but you have a tendensity to touch some other part of the knife on the belt.:BangHead:
here are some links to work with: www.kovalknives.com, www.texasknife.com, and this last is a large commercial knife supplier www.knifecenter.com

Attachments

• Knives.jpg
    Knives.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 164

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Chris,

Your email is timely, if not a week late.

I had the honor of taking Joe's "Make a knife" class at woodcraft this past weekend. I'll post as soon as I get my act together on the details.

That said, Joe at Woodcraft in raleigh is an amazing wealth of knowledge on knife making. If he offers another class, I can't say enough how great it is.

We used O1 tool steel that we cut to lenght, then shaped into blades.

I really enjoyed it and plan to make more knives and tools in the future.

What kind of work are you doing or looking to do?

Jim

clowman

Clay Lowman
I may have to keep my eyes open for another knife making class. It's just something that has been in the back of my mind for months now.

Thanks for the input guys, I will check out these links.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS