Klingspors Virtual Extravaganza 2020

Mrfixit71

Board of Directors, Treasurer
Rich
Staff member
Corporate Member
24 and 25 will be busy days steam bending parts. 30 and 31 will also be busy installing covering and adding trim. I have help on 24 and 29, so any other day would be great. I will be there by 10 each day
I'll plan on being there the 25th and the 30th.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
I can help the 24th in Winston and the 31st in Hickory or Winston. Nothing to demo, but I can be there.

Graywolf, I found two Disston saws at Habitat that need sharpening. I will bring them up.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I can help the 24th in Winston and the 31st in Hickory or Winston. Nothing to demo, but I can be there.

Graywolf, I found two Disston saws at Habitat that need sharpening. I will bring them up.
That sounds good. If you have anything to display that’s a conversation starter that would be great.

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I just spoke with Coleman and he reminded me that the Cary store is not yet open on Sundays. So I will take the day off and just push a bit harder on Monday. I still expect the canoe to be done the next Saturday 10/31

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phil, I have some open time on Tuesday, the 27th. I could come out and tote and fetch for ya.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I look forward to seeing everyone who can come out tomorrow. We’ll have some fun, point and laugh, mainly at me. ;)

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
First day of the canoe build went well - many folks stopped with questions and most said they will come back to see the progress. Only a few were skeptical that such a light weight frame could hold an adult

Here are a few process photos of the strong back, the forming stations, and the keelson, stems and outer gunwales installed. By the end of the day the ten stringers were also installed but the cameraman forgot to get the photo

Today, Dirk (golfdad) and I will steam bend and install the white oak ribs. I owe a huge THANKS to Scott Smith for helping find the right partially air dried oak.

Come on out today and watch this canoe take shape

IMG_5928.jpg

IMG_5925.jpg

IMG_5927.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Day two progress. Steve and Dirk were a big help
10 stringers installed and glued to bow and stern stems
22 white oak ribs steam bent and installed with lots of zip ties

next step, after the ribs have cooled and dried is to glue them to the stringers

IMG_5929.jpg
IMG_5930.jpg

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Long overdue update
Day three - On Saturday Steve and Dirk had installed all the steam boat ribs and then installed zipties to hold them in form. On Monday, Rich (Mrfixit) helped glue all the rib joints with PL Premium glue.
Day four - Richard (Graywolf) and I removed all of the zipties and then pulled the frame off the mold stations, then Richard created and installed the bow and stern decks and inner gunwales - lots of clamps required
IMG_5931.jpg

In the above photo, please notice Pop-Pop's great vise

IMG_5933.jpg

Day five - Danny helped trim the gunwales, trim the ribs and cleanup all the joints - very tedious
Day six - Berta helped sand and varnish the frame inside and out - every project has a sanding phase, not my favorite
Day seven - Rich came back and installed the very important Kevlar roving to triangulate the frame and then helped cover the frame with Dacron heat-shrink covering.

IMG_5939.jpg

IMG_5938.jpg

Tomorrow, I will tighten the Kevlar roving, trim the covering at the gunwale and add the mahogany rubrail. Plus I will add the floor boards and thwarts. At the end of the day I will get the weight, I am guessing 18 lbs
A quick coat or two of exterior varnish and she will be ready for the water.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That’s looking good, I had fun hanging out with Phil and playing with my tools.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I enjoyed watching this project evolve, I am sure that visitors to Klingspor also enjoyed it as well!

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Last update
Day eight
Thwarts and rubric installed and covering trimmed.
Next step is to install floor boards (I had some ready to install but decided to make them thinner and smaller)
Last step will be to spray the outside with two coats of exterior grade varnish, probably General Finish 450

As she is now the weight is 16 pounds. With small floor boards and finish she should be right at 18

Here are the final build photos. In the near future I will share a photo of her floating on top of the water

IMG_5940.jpg

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5945.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS