Klingspor or Woodcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Seriously considering purchasing a sawstop. Have been to both places and had pleasant experiences at each one. They are the same distance from my home so that is not a factor. Where would you buy your saw from, or is it a flip of the coin? Perhaps there is another factor that I have not considered.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Klingspor's would be my only choice - gives members a discount on purchases (does not apply to tools), supports our outreach program and this web site and also advertises on this website; plus all of the Klingspor's staff are great people.

I have never been in Woodcraft and had the staff ask me questions about my projects or needs - they showed no interest in what I was doing but rather waited for me at the cash register - I just didn't feel the level of customer support I get when I am in Klingspor's.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Klingspor's would be my only choice - gives members a discount on purchases (does not apply to tools), supports our outreach program and this web site and also advertises on this website; plus all of the Klingspor's staff are great people.

I have never been in Woodcraft and had the staff ask me questions about my projects or needs - they showed no interest in what I was doing but rather waited for me at the cash register - I just didn't feel the level of customer support I get when I am in Klingspor's.

Agree with the first part, Klingspor's because they support the site.

Disagree with the second part, I've had great interactions with the staff at Woodcraft. I've spent over an hour on many trips when they are slow talking about woodworking and CNC and lasers.

I would buy from Klingspor for large purchases because of their support for the site.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I'd make my purchase at Klingspors, because of what Ken said, and I've had great rapport from all the Klingspors staff, and I've shopped all 4 stores. Never received anywhere near the same support from Woodcraft, as most of their clerks don't leave the cash register area to offer aid, until I go and ask for help. There are others who will disagree but those are my feelings.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Klingspor for so many reasons. The good folks at Klingspor know that helping us will help them.

Here are just a few examples:

Klingspor offers our members a DQ discount - Woodcraft just says no

Klingspor pricing is always lower - just compare prices on Transtint, General Finishes, or sandpaper

Klingspor has always been among the top contributors to our annual raffle - Woodcraft barely even makes the list

Klingspor gladly contributes supplies for our Outreach program, mostly without even being asked - Woodcraft zip, nada, nothing

Klingspor contributes space for our Outreach program to hold events at their stores, they have even offered to help - When I asked Woodcraft, I quickly was told how much the fees would be. That conversation ended soon thereafter

Don't even ask me about Woodcraft's WoodRiver products where you can get a slight discount for a huge reduction in quality

Have you ever seen a Woodcraft ad on this site - not likely. Klingspor was our first advertiser, they get it

Bottom line is I will always deal with a friend

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I bought my Delta table saw from Klingspor in 1995, still have it.
I bought my Rikon bandsaw from Klingspor in 2006, still have it.
I bought my Bosch router, random orbital sander, and most other small tools that are not second hand antiques there.

Woodcraft closed their local store. Probably because people like me would rather drive a few extra miles to Klingspor than to deal with them.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
+1 Klingspor.

Can you speak directly to the decision maker at Woodcraft? No
Can you speak to Coleman Forshee? Yes

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Woodcraft closed their local store. Probably because people like me would rather drive a few extra miles to Klingspor than to deal with them.

Just for the record, I personally knew the owners of the local woodcraft store (Greensboro) . The reason they left was due to some serious family issues that I will not divulge here, some things are meant to stay private. Suffice it to say, the owner's wife (then widow) tried to run it after his demise but the people left working for her as it turned out, were stealing from her, and she just couldnt come back from that.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I bought my Sawstop PCS at Klingspor in Raleigh. I wanted to buy during the sale when they include the mobile base or overarm dust collection, but my shop wasn't quite ready for the saw. They gladly extended the sale to me so I could pick up my saw months later. The sale date on my paperwork was when I picked it up, not what the sale was on. I highly recommend talking with Paul Rolfe at the Raleigh store if that's where you are buying.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Just for the record, I personally knew the owners of the local woodcraft store (Greensboro) . ..... but the people left working for her as it turned out, were stealing from her, and she just couldnt come back from that.

I guess you are defending Woodcraft, but if the employees were stealing from the owners it doesn't say much for the company. This is the worst thing I have heard about them.

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
I think it probably depends on where you are located. Here in Tallahassee we have neither, but when I lived in Maryland I did have a Woodcraft an hour drive from home. They were very nice and very helpful. I did find the prices to be a bit high and their wood selection kind of lame though.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I guess you are defending Woodcraft, but if the employees were stealing from the owners it doesn't say much for the company. This is the worst thing I have heard about them.

Not defending anyone, but they are independently owned franchises. Apparently, the the employee(s) took advantage of a bad situation. The owners were great people but had something bad happen and the employees just added to the problem.

dwebb

New User
Drew
Definitely Klingspor. The last few visits I've made to Woodcraft, I came out empty handed because they were out of stock of what I needed, or in the case of my last visit, were condescending and rude to me. I've never had that at Klingspor, even when I have a stupid question that I should know the answer to. Prices are usually pretty close, but Klingspor does offer 10% off to military and veterans, which I appreciate. They're also really great to take the time to explain a process or a product difference to you.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I am surprised by the responses, many things I did not know. Just a few of my observations on both stores.
Klingspor- doesn't have the selection that woodcraft does, with the exception on sandpaper and wood. Both stores parking sucks. Both not a biggie, but with a full size extended cab it is aggravating. Nevertheless I plan on making my purchases at Klingspor.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Klingspor is a prime supporter of this website and a prime supporter of our programs. They help us help others. Woodcraft not so much as Phil's experience requesting facilities help points out. We are a registered charity so helping us is deductible, but Woodcraft doesn't care.

Klingspor cares if we're successful or not, so I care to choose them. Easy choice.

Timmy

New User
Tim
Klingspor as well. I enjoy going into that store more and also woodcraft closed their store local to me.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm going to offer a different opinion here....Klingspor :) Not that Woodcraft is a bad store, and it's always good to have a second place to go for items Klingspor doesn't carry (or is out of stock). I also believe that Klingspor's house brand router bits are in fact Whiteside bits, which are a cut above (pun intended) the Woodriver bits.

And let's face it, the number one activity in all woodworking projects is sanding, and you can't beat Klingspor's sandpaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS