Klingspor Event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Has anyone talked to Coleman about our spot at the fall extravaganza? I know the dates are October 30 and 31st. I do not want to leave anything up to chance. Per a conversation with Steve, Coleman is a great guy but he needs to be sweet talked to on a regular basis. He also should be made aware if we will have any NCWW merchandise (hats, calendars, mugs) for sale. This is just a curiosity.

I have no problem calling him. If I was a lot closer would pay him a visit. I just don't want to repeat if this is already done.

M

McRabbet

I am meeting with him a week from today on my way to Apex/Raleigh for the M-WTCA Meeting on Saturday, 7/25. We have already confirmed our booth space and I've committed do what we can to help his vendors with sales through our demonstrations. We had good response from the public last year and we need to do as well this year. I'll also be talking to him about our Raffle and will see if we can sell tickets at the Show (I'm sure he will allow it). If there are any specific items you want me to cover, let me know.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rob, mention we are hoping to have the 2010 calendars with us. We may also have a small quantity of NCWW hats and mugs available for purchase.

One thing we have to decide on is expenses. I sat with Steve yesterday. We spent over $600.00 on food (lunches for the members who showed up to work). The food was great but there was too much.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Raffle? We doing another raffle in October?

Not arguing or disagreeing, just don't remember hearing it.

What we going to raffle?????

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Raffle? We doing another raffle in October?

Not arguing or disagreeing, just don't remember hearing it.

What we going to raffle?????

+1.

One thing that is always great about a raffle is when there are not only multiple prizes, but also some "biggies" that most folks would drool over but not be able to purchase.

The Kapex was a great example. A really cool cabinetmakers bench may also be a good item (and this is even something that we may be able to get some members to volunteer to make).

M

McRabbet

Sorry for not reporting on a very good meeting earlier, but I was tied up all weekend and then had 3 full days back here through my B-day doings yesterday. Anyhow, we had a great meeting and discussed the Extravaganza in detail and raffle stuff. On the Oct 30-31 event, we will again get the 30' x 60' booth (same spot as last year) with power and tables and any special equipment we may need. We can sell raffle tickets, calendars, whatever. Like last year, we need to have a good set of demos lined up -- he would love to have AlexL come again and even would like us to participate in their Main Hall demonstrations (he thinks AlexL would be fantastic for us and for them, too -- Alex can sell pens and other members could sell their items if they wanted as well). I said we'd certainly have enough willing members to do demos in our booth as follows: Scroll saw (PChristy, ScottM, CSkipper, Sawduster come to mind); Pen Turning (AlexL, DaveO, TracyP, others); Specialty demos -- I did pocket screw joinery and WorkSharp 3000 demo last year and Tom Ferone did bandsaw boxes. I have a list of approved caterers for our lunches and will get that to ScottM as we will need to use one of them.

We talked a little about the raffle -- he will work with us on any prize we want -- among those discussed were brands he can supply including ShopFox, Powermatic, SawStop, Rikon -- a big drill press like the PM2800 (about $950) or an 18" Rikon bandsaw (about $1350) would be a great prize -- I mentioned that we would go to Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen again but our desire is to support our advertisers.

I also mentioned our thought about giving Gift Certificates for Calendar winners and he would like that, too. He is a great guy and we can count on continued support from him. We did discuss the Charlotte store closing, but that's not anything I'll discuss here.

As a follow-up, I did discuss the meeting with Steve Coles briefly when I stopped to see him on Saturday to pick up an item I bought from him. He liked the idea of a large Drill Press or a big Bandsaw, but he wasn't crazy about the idea that someone had made to have a widebelt sander as our top prize (I agree with him).

So in summary, it was a good meeting. I'm ready to get rolling on getting people lined up and for us to set up a Raffle Committee (I would like to chair it and it should be as few people as possible).

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The sander was my idea. I still think it would make a good top prize but that is for the committee.

Speaking of the raffle committee, Stuart and I should be members or at least kept in the loop.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Personally, I thought between ScottM and Stuart one of the two of you would be the chair of the raffle committee. To me the raffle is a cross between fundraising and events so it is a toss up as to who owns it so to speak.

As for the sander, it would be a nice to have for some, but too large for most. Now a fancy drill press would be special!

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
The way we have been working together so far has worked very well, IMHO. I do not care who chairs the committee or cochairs it for that matter. I agree that the widebelt sander would not be as appealing to a wide group of woodworks as some of the others. The drill press is probably the best as most people, if they have one, have a basic model. So a fancier model would draw more entries and hence $.

Doug

M

McRabbet

I agree that the sander will have a more limited audience than a drill press or even a bandsaw. Although it only has a 4-3/8" quill travel, the Powermatic PM2800 has excellent features and would be a prime prize for almost everyone. Check out the specs here and be sure to watch the video for all the key features. It is a real winner in my book and will get lots of tickets sold. If you want, I can ask Coleman what he can do for us on one.

I volunteered for the Raffle Committee since I know that participants cannot be eligible for the drawing -- I helped Steve and Gary (NCturner) get several of the prizes last year and will work to do the same this year. I'm willing to help in any way and agree that either Scott or Stuart should chair the committee, but it means instant loss of eligibility. We need to determine the raffle ticket process anew (we have used Paypal in the past), or perhaps it can be done through a similar mechanism that is set up for Donations. That may mean Travis will be out if he handles the funds and registrations. Do I dare suggest that all members of the Board should be ineligible? After all, Tracy won the big prize last year and I'm sure that Scott Smith has a drill press big enough to put holes in bulldozers!

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I am ok with not being in the raffle. I collect the money and all, it is probably for the best. I will work out the numbers and all that kind of thing once the committee decides how and what they want to do.

As for the remainder of the BOD participating, I can see it both ways, so my opinion is that I do not have an opinion.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
While I would not mind wining a PM drill press, Rob makes a good point. We do not want it to seem like the BoD is somehow dominating the raffles. It will have a long term negative effect on the money we can raise this way. Therefore I will NOT participate in the raffle. If all agree then we have no problem regarding who runs it. Rob should certainly be involved as he is the only BoD member that has worked on the prior ones. Besides he has the contacts and good ideas. Scott as Events director and Stuart as Donations Director need to be involved also. I know you can work out amongst yourselves.

Doug

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
+1 on the BoD not entering in the raffle. On the other matter, Stuart and I already touched based and he will chair. With the two fall shows and the calendar my hands are full.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
+1 on the BoD not entering in the raffle. On the other matter, Stuart and I already touched based and he will chair. With the two fall shows and the calendar my hands are full.

I have no problem not being able to participate in the raffle. I personally think a drum sander is a tool that most people don't have and would generate more interest than a drill press which most people have. What most of us have may not be as nice as the drillpress being considered, but it is a tool that is not used all that frequently, at least in my shop. Not trying to be too simplistic, but a round hole is a round hole. A drum sander would probably get much, much more use. If I were eligible, which I've stated already that I have no problem with not being, I would buy more tickets for that than I would for the drillpress. Somehow, I would find room for one if I had a chance to get one at a reasonable cost. Would a poll of the members as to their preferred prize be appropriate? We might give that serious consideration.

Scott is correct in that he and I discussed who should chair the raffle. I am in favor of Rob chairing it, particularly since he has volunteered, was involved with the prior raffles, and certainly has the contacts. There will no turf battles on my part so, Rob, it's yours if you still want it. I agree that Scott and I should be involved as a committee member.

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Personally, it is yours and the committees decision on what is raffled. My opinions are just that, my opinions. If something else is decided, so be it. I can't enter anyway, so no worries.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Personally, it is yours and the committees decision on what is raffled. My opinions are just that, my opinions. If something else is decided, so be it. I can't enter anyway, so no worries.

x2, but I would add that Stuart's idea is a good one. Polling the membership might get them involved early and will help us maximize the profit for the NCWW, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS