Klingspor Charlotte Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Heard this today...

Sad news...the economy strikes again...

As of this morning, the Klingspor store in Charlotte is officially closed. The doors are locked, the windows are papered over, and the sign is on the door. All stock, including lumber, will be moved to the Hickory store. Klingspor will continue to mail us catalogs and assist us with orders, but there is no more Klingspor in Charlotte.

It's been a while coming from what I could tell, but still hate to see it. The Charlotte store just couldn't get it together, especially after Rockler was kicked out. It's very sad and I hope they don't count Charlotte out for a future store.

UPDATE: Got this in my email too:
klingsporclosing.png

View image in gallery

Charlottend

New User
Brian
Wow. I was counting down the days until I was eligible for the discount. That's a shame. Hopefully their other stores are more financially stable.

timf67

New User
Tim
That is truely sad news. :gar-Cr I didn't go often, but they knew me by name and were always helpful. Heck, they even remembered my dad who only comes to visit about once a year - but we always went there to stock up on sandpaper

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
i was pretty surprised by this considering how much more business they had at their new location versus the old freeland drive place.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Too bad! I was just in there Friday and talked with Jim. He seemed to be looking forward to the economy turning around and business picking up.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Too bad! I was just in there Friday and talked with Jim. He seemed to be looking forward to the economy turning around and business picking up.

Yeah, I was there on Saturday and everything seems normal ... slow, but that was normal. When Klingspor comes asking, I'll be glad to give them my two cents on that store.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yeah, I was there on Saturday and everything seems normal ... slow, but that was normal. When Klingspor comes asking, I'll be glad to give them my two cents on that store.

I hope you have constructive comments that can help them in the future. Coleman and the rest of Klingspor has been very good to NCWW and they deserve all our support.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr:gar-Cr

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
I hope you have constructive comments that can help them in the future. Coleman and the rest of Klingspor has been very good to North Carolina Woodworker and they deserve all our support.

In my business, all feedback is good feedback and should be seen as constructive. Klingspor is still good in my book:thumbs_up, but in all honestly the truth won't be so pretty (otherwise they'd still be open in Charlotte):eek:

thrytis

New User
Eric
That is sad news. :cry_smile I didn't make it there too often, but it near my wife's office so i could get her to pick up supplies on her way home.

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
I hope you have constructive comments that can help them in the future. Coleman and the rest of Klingspor has been very good to North Carolina Woodworker and they deserve all our support.

i doubt Jeremy meant that in a bad way

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
i doubt Jeremy meant that in a bad way

By no means ... I definitely did NOT want to see Klingspor in Charlotte close. While I think the store had it's issues, it was nothing that couldn't have been repaired.

Coleman, and Klingspor as a whole, has been AWESOME ... not only to North Carolina Woodworker, but to each of us individually. Though they are across town from where I live, I often made the trip just to support them.

M

McRabbet

It is just one more example of why we need to support our local 'brick & mortar stores' rather than taking the easy route and ordering items over the Internet to save a buck. I'm equally sorry to hear that this store has closed, but business is business and I'm sure it wasn't for any other reason than economics. I strongly echo other comments concerning the support to NCWoodworker.net by Klingspor's Woodworking Shop and their overall manager, Coleman Fourshee. We couldn't ask for a better friend.

For all of you that will miss having a Charlotte store, I recommend you set up an account on their Internet store at http://www.woodworkingshop.com/. If you are Discount Qualified here, you'll get 10% off most items (not power tools or wood).

jimwill48

James
Dang, I was there at the same time Jeremy was there. Didn't even get a hint there was any issue with the store. I'll hate to see the store close. For me its about the same distance to Charlotte or Hickory but I liked the guys at the Charlotte store. Should of guessed something when they cut their weekend hours a few months back.

James

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
I was also there within the last couple weeks. Hate to see it go as that was a very friendly place to spend time and money.

T

toolferone

I also am sad to hear about the store closing. The Charlotte Klingspor holds a very special place for me as it was my start into the retail woodworking world. I am sure this was a very hard but necessary decision to make, and wish Coleman and the rest of the company good thoughts for continued success in these hard times.

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Very sad. I too hate to see the store close, but agree it was not hard to foresee. I love Klingspor, but that particular brick and mortar seemed to have varying types of difficulty over the last couple of years that I have visited it.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
As a consumer I hate to loose the ability to run over and pick something up if needed. As a former PT employee I can understand how it happened.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
In my business, all feedback is good feedback and should be seen as constructive. Klingspor is still good in my book:thumbs_up, but in all honestly the truth won't be so pretty (otherwise they'd still be open in Charlotte):eek:

I agree you completely, feedback should be constructive, good or bad. Just praisng a business is like giving all the kids in a soccer league the same trophies, one team should get bigger tropies for other kids to aspire to. Kinder and gentler doesn't work in real life.

I think Klingspor in Raliegh is the best store locally, but even they can use tweaking. Remember, "The only thing that stays constant in life if change":gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors