Status
Not open for further replies.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
attachment.php
Original fishing reel lamp.
attachment.php
Picture of outboard motor lamp I saw on the net.
attachment.php
Progress of my lamp as of 3/5/18
attachment.php
Top half of hinged motor body to show hollow area for electric connections, etc.

Haven't been on for a while because of moving from the old country digs to a new house over the last 12 months. After painting, repairing, up grading, etc. of the old house for 8 months, it was finally ready to put on the market. After finding a new place last January we set about buying it too, Good grief what stress for a couple of 70 year olds! Within 4 days of putting an offer on the new place, the old place sold! By Feb 18 of this year we were in the new place and once the dust settled and the boxes were unpacked, I set about building a new wood shop in the full basement at the new digs. 1 story main living PLUS an untouched full basement.. cool. An oversized 2-car garage didn't hurt either.

The fishing reel lamp was supposed to be submitted to a wood working mag for a feature project. But it didn't make it because as anal as I am, I made it too involved for the normal wood worker. Things like using paper clips to make the hooks for the lures, using compound cuts to make the lures, the crank on the reel actually turning the line drum, etc. Oh well, my oldest laid claim to it. He's an avid fisherman and loved it. But now I needed a new lamp to take it's place. When i was surfing around the net looking for ideas for the reel lamp, I saw pictures of the outboard motor lamp I posted here. Looked very interesting and detailed the way I like stuff. So.. I started to draw up plans to see if it was actually doable. The actually lamps are cast out of composite of some type. What you see in the last 2 pictures is as far as I've gotten since I started the actual build last week. Next will be final shaping of the bottom section of the tail piece then on to the controls like you see in the picture. I'm hoping to be able to use the shift lever to turn the lamp on/off via a toggle switch inside the hollow area on the motor body. I post as the project moves along.
attachment.php

attachment.php
Finished all the construction yesterday. The more I thought of the simple vase not adding anything more than support for the lamp, the more I thought it needed a personality of it's own. I added the fly reel to it then thought about adding a lure like I had made for the fishing reel lamp last year... so I borrowed one to set it up. Except for the base now being just a tad to small (maybe an inch), I think that's what the finished product will be before I stain and seal it all.
Pop

Attachments

• final coats of urethane 11-10-2016.jpg
    final coats of urethane 11-10-2016.jpg
    982 KB · Views: 237
  • 41wUWWQ3XiL.jpg
    41wUWWQ3XiL.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Tail section getting done - 3-5-18.jpg
    Tail section getting done - 3-5-18.jpg
    876.8 KB · Views: 228
  • Motor open to show pipe end 3-5-18.jpg
    Motor open to show pipe end 3-5-18.jpg
    792 KB · Views: 241
  • 3-10-18 Lamp with reel and lure on base.jpg
    3-10-18 Lamp with reel and lure on base.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 124
  • 3-9-18 Only a finish left to do.jpg
    3-9-18 Only a finish left to do.jpg
    907 KB · Views: 109

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
The fishing reel is absolutely incredible! Looking forward to seeing the outboard when it’s finished.

BTW, did you have a Marine over in the desert around 2005?

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Unbelievable craftsmanship Mike! You should submit them to a magazine, they are amazing. Do you have a house at the DE Shore?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike if you ever have an extra fishing lamp I would be happy to take it off your hands. Beautiful. Congratulations on the new house and shop.

Pop

New User
Pop Ryan
Yeah. Have a place in Bethany. Had a couple shops there that were selling my shore lamps until the stiffed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors