woodguy1975

New User
John
drawdetail.jpg

Date: 10/14
Duration: 9am-4pm
Class Size: 4
Cost: $80

Description: I will teach you guys how to cut through and half blind dovetails by hand. We'll also spend a little time on chisel sharpening and customization. I'lll show you how to do it 100% with a chisel and handsaw and how to use powertools without jigs. As a bonus we'll cover the fitting process of a piston fit drawer. Lets put those router jigs away!!!!! Materials Provided.

Tools Required:

Pencil
Marking Gage
Dovetail Saw (Western or Japanese)
Small 6" rule

This class was just added to the schedule. Just PM me or post if you are interested.

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:-D FWIW, I took this class and leared a great deal. This is a great skill to have that you can continually hone. Hand cutting dovetails really expands the creativity you can use in a project and I, while I have not perfected it, I feel that it really has stepped up my skillset.

Cheers,
Chris

AT-4

New User
Update your profile with your name
John,
Count me in for now. I will recheck my calendar just in case.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
Folks if you’re on the fence on going to his class just take the plunge. I have never been to one yet, but just look at the quality of work he does. The proof is in the pudding so to say. I’m not saying this for John's sake; I have just been able to be a part of this place for over a year now and can tell you he has a passion for woodworking. I look forward to spending some shop time at his school when I get back to the states. (I have to get in his shop/class before he gets super famous and I can’t afford it, lol)
Be blessed friends.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
No John you didn’t miss-spell anything, you just realized that there is no "I" in the brotherhood of soldiers. Beside that i'm one of the worst spellers. Ask NCPete, he has helped me with my college papers.

John, I was wondering what brands of tools (I know the best money can buy) you recommend for your dovetail class? I have a set of Maples that are not top of the line but keep an edge well. What would you suggest on dovetail saws?

woodguy1975

New User
John
No John you didn’t miss-spell anything, you just realized that there is no "I" in the brotherhood of soldiers. Beside that i'm one of the worst spellers. Ask NCPete, he has helped me with my college papers.

John, I was wondering what brands of tools (I know the best money can buy) you recommend for your dovetail class? I have a set of Maples that are not top of the line but keep an edge well. What would you suggest on dovetail saws?

Actually, I think FWW just did a review. While I love my Adria saw, the best saw from a cost/performance aspect is the Crown Gent's saw. It runs about $20 and cuts very well. Marples are fine for chisels. I prefer the old stanleys or the new LN to them, but they hold an edge. :)

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
My $0.02: Lee Valley Tools sells a ~$30 Korean made dozuki that's very good for the money.

I have the gent's saw too and the dozuki is better - but does take slightly longer to acquire the 'feel'.

Unfortunately the thin blade on the dozuki makes it easy to damage..which is why I have a NIB dozuki sitting in my shop :oops:

-Mark

woodguy1975

New User
John
New Day - Handcut Dovetails

I've got one person going for the handcut dovetails class. Due to our schedules we've decided to shift the class to Sunday. We'll start around 10am and run till 2 or 3pm. Anyone interested in the Sunday class?

Thanks,

John

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Re: New Day - Handcut Dovetails

darn, first time you offer a Sunday class, and I have to attend something for my son's catechism classes:-(

AT-4

New User
Update your profile with your name
John,
Great class. Thanks for changing to Sunday, so I could attend. By the way, what was the name of that (rocket) hand saw we used? That is certainly on the must have list. I have to stop visiting the shop man you are killing me. If anyone is interested in attending one of John's classes, I highly recommend them, but be ready to add about ten plus tools to your must have list.

woodguy1975

New User
John
John,
Great class. Thanks for changing to Sunday, so I could attend. By the way, what was the name of that (rocket) hand saw we used? That is certainly on the must have list. I have to stop visiting the shop man you are killing me. If anyone is interested in attending one of John's classes, I highly recommend them, but be ready to add about ten plus tools to your must have list.

The saw is an Adria saw. It does cut fast and accurately, but takes a bit of getting used to.

Going to buy one? :) I'd recommend the LN too. It is a bit slower, but easier to learn.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS