Jointer Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Sunday I went to turn my DJ-30 jointer on. It started up and then there was a large "pop" followed by a stinky smell.

Well today my Dad and I checked it out. Apparently a wire connection came loose.

wire.jpg

The loose wire is to the right of the capacitor.

We are guessing that after the wire came loose, the electricity blew a hole in the front of the starting capacitor.

capacitor.jpg

Now I get the joy of fighting with Delta/Porter-Cable/DeWalt/B&D since it is one month past the warrenty. I bought it on 9/26/06 and it has a two year warrenty. :BangHead: I still have the first set of blades on the jointer.

Does anyone know where to get a starting capacitor? It has the following information on it:

ABC motor starting capacitor
CAP 400 MFD
WV 200 VAC
Y759 YC Elec Co Ltd.

I went to Grainger, but couldn't find a capacitor to match these specs. The parts breakdowns that I find include the capacitor with the motor for at least $858.

I'll let everyone know what Delta says tomorrow.

Amy

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Amy,
For your capacitor I would try Motors and Control on Hodges St in Ral. This is right off of Capital Blvd, so it should be an easy run from Chapel Thrill for you. Another thought is an HVAC/Appliance supply house - one that I have always had good luck with is Cash's Appliance Parts on Old Wake Forest in Ral. This one is tougher to find so I recommend you use Google Maps.

Best of all - call both of them and see if they can help you. I would not be overly upset by having a cap go, it is one of the easiest items to repair and they do go out on a fairly maddening basis. My guess is that you are looking at less than a $20 part, not including gas.

Last edited by a moderator:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Amy, ditto DIYGUY's comments - you should be able to purchase a capacitor for 20 bucks or thereabouts.

I'm not an expert in this area, but my understanding is that there is some flexibility when replacing capacitors, and they don't have to be a "perfect match". In some instances the mfd numbers can be varied.

From what you describe, my guess would be that the capacitor went bad and that was the root cause, and it blew the wire off in the process.

Scott

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
If you go to the Dewalt service center on capital, they will probably give you a new one for free. Take the defective one with you and make sure you have the jointer serial number.

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'll second the opinion that the cap blew the wire off. I've seen AC capacitors fail in the past in rather spectacular fashion.

Rule-o-thumb when replacing capacitors in power applications:

You can usually use a capacitance value (mf or uF - different abbreviations for the same thing) that's 20% different, or more, but NEVER go to a lower voltage rating. In the case of motor caps, make sure you also use an AC rated cap.

Practical examples:
You find a motor cap with the same type of terminal connectors that's stamped 470uF @ 220VAC. This would be a good replacement.

A 350uF will probably (but not definitely) work.

A 470uF @ 400VDC is no good -- that's a polarized capacitor (electrolytic) made for DC filtering. Watch for the AC rating.

If you go to an appliance or tool place, they will most likely steer you in the right direction.

Steve:kermit:

insteadof

New User
james
:kermit:Break-Down! Call Delta in Tenn. Very nice people. Starter Cap. approx. $ 12.00 plus tax & shiping. arrive in 2 days. Ordered two for my 1.5 hp dust system. That way you will never have another failure. Insteadof

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Sunday I went to turn my DJ-30 jointer on. It started up and then there was a large "pop" followed by a stinky smell.

Well today my Dad and I checked it out. Apparently a wire connection came loose.

wire.jpg

The loose wire is to the right of the capacitor.

We are guessing that after the wire came loose, the electricity blew a hole in the front of the starting capacitor.

capacitor.jpg

Now I get the joy of fighting with Delta/Porter-Cable/DeWalt/B&D since it is one month past the warrenty. I bought it on 9/26/06 and it has a two year warrenty. :BangHead: I still have the first set of blades on the jointer.

Does anyone know where to get a starting capacitor? It has the following information on it:

ABC motor starting capacitor
CAP 400 MFD
WV 200 VAC
Y759 YC Elec Co Ltd.

I went to Grainger, but couldn't find a capacitor to match these specs. The parts breakdowns that I find include the capacitor with the motor for at least $858.

I'll let everyone know what Delta says tomorrow.

Amy
Grainger item # 4CU32 should work. Don't spend too much time worrying about working voltages. When motors are dual voltage (110/ 220), starting caps. are still 125 working voltage. Now you understand why caps, are enclosed in a metal box, or shield. Johnstone Supply, on Hillsborough Rd in Durham (383-0009) should also have what you need. Item #G33-070. Call them first though. Bruce

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Thanks so much for all the information and expertise. This is an awesome group of people!

As it turns out, the repair center on Capital Blvd. said that they couldn't get the capacitor since it is sold to them with the motor, but they will order me a new motor. It is on backorder, but should be here before Christmas.

Thanks again so much for all the information. I will keep it handy in case this happens again.

Amy

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Thanks so much for all the information and expertise. This is an awesome group of people!

As it turns out, the repair center on Capital Blvd. said that they couldn't get the capacitor since it is sold to them with the motor, but they will order me a new motor. It is on backorder, but should be here before Christmas.

Thanks again so much for all the information. I will keep it handy in case this happens again.

Amy
Are they going to charge you for the new motor?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS