Jointer Services Wanted

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
Hello, I milled up some cherry wood as best I can for a glue-up, but I seem to be unable to get the gluing edges flat enough not to leave gaps. It’s close, but there are some obvious gaps that I’d rather not fill with the “sawdust and glue” method. I only have a table saw and a hand planer and I just keep making these pieces thinner and thinner without success. I’m looking to see if anyone with a jointer might be able to shave out my imperfections.

Dimensions of the wood: the biggest piece is about 13” long by 3” wide by 2” thick. I have about seven pieces in total that decrease in width from there (thickness and length are all about the same). I’m looking to glue them all up to make the seat for a stool.

My capacity to travel is fairly limited, so if there is anybody in the Bedford or Falls River neighborhoods in Raleigh who can lend a hand, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Last edited:

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
Think you could post a pic of the job? Jointer capacities vary quite a bit.
Sorry, I should have included a description of the size pieces. I’ll post a pic when I get back to the house, but the biggest piece is about 13” long by 3” wide by 2” thick. I have about seven pieces in total that decrease in width from there (thickness and length are all about the same). I’m looking to glue them all up to make the seat for a stool.

Howie

Howie
Senior User
Short version of this
1700504453302.png

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
I’ve tried a variation of this arrangement, but still could not get suitable cuts for joining. I also tried the method where you cut one board laying on its “top” and the adjoining board laying on its “bottom” to account for the fact that the blade might not be set at exactly 90 degrees and that didn’t work either. Granted, my table saw is an entry level Skilsaw from about ten years ago, but I feel like it should be able to calibrate it well enough to joint boards. It’s definitely user error.

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
I can later today. I'm between youngsville and franklinton if that's doable
Thanks for the offer. I can’t get out that way on the weekdays, but I’ll follow up on the weekend if I don’t hear from anybody in the neighborhood. Thanks again.

Howie

Howie
Senior User
I'm directly across from the Optimist Farm Property on Optimist Farm Rd. , Apex. Got a jointer and planer, avail. anytime.

areevesnc

Aaron
Corporate Member
I’ve tried a variation of this arrangement, but still could not get suitable cuts for joining. I also tried the method where you cut one board laying on its “top” and the adjoining board laying on its “bottom” to account for the fact that the blade might not be set at exactly 90 degrees and that didn’t work either. Granted, my table saw is an entry level Skilsaw from about ten years ago, but I feel like it should be able to calibrate it well enough to joint boards. It’s definitely user error.

Looks like you’ve got some good help lined up, but this might still be worth asking: what kind of blade are you using in your saw? I’ve had excellent results with a good glue-line rip blade in my small 70-year-old table saw.

mudfoot

Dave
Senior User
Looks like you’ve got some good help lined up, but this might still be worth asking: what kind of blade are you using in your saw? I’ve had excellent results with a good glue-line rip blade in my small 70-year-old table saw.
Well, I didn’t even really think the blade could be the issue, but it very well could be. I’m using a 28-tooth general purpose blade, which actually has quite a few miles on it. I convinced myself that calibration (fence, blade perpendicularity, etc) is the issue. For all I know, the blade has always been a bit “off,” because most of the things I’ve cut didn’t need much precision. Thanks for the food for thought, Aaron.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS