Joinery for a Simpleton

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
DaveO supplied some scrap western cedar, so I decided it was perfect for a butterfly house like my pop used to make. Two remain, gray and beautifully weathered in my yard (15 years old). Simply constructed, dad used finishing nails. My plan is to use biscuits for more solid construction . . . but perhaps my dad was smarter than me :eusa_thin The house will be outside 24/7/365 during winter and summer.

Would the biscuit joinery constrict wood movement and cause splitting, etc. :?:
Any other suggestions ? ? ?

Thanks in advance,
Sapwood

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I would be concerned about movement that would be restricted by the glue. seems that might not be a problem with the simple nail-together job your dad did so many years ago. Also, I don't know much about the properties of WRC, with respect to movement v. moisture....:eusa_thin

Monty

New User
Monty
Biscuits should be just fine as you just use them on the long-grain to long-grain joints. And use waterproof glue.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
so biscuits are cool for something like that? that is great, 'cause my biscuit joiner is just a few days in the mail away!:eusa_danc

Last edited:

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
Sapwood, Now you've got me wondering what all of my butterflies do for shelter? There're not any butterfly houses around here and I didn't know what they looked like until:
http://butterflywebsite.com/articles/house/plans.htm

Most of the joinery is long grain to long grain (sides to back and front) so waterproof glue and biscuits should be just fine . Since top and bottom are relatively short lengths, movement may not be a problem. Just don't place these where the butterfly housing authorities may see them. Their building codes are unbelievably strict.
Roy

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Roger,

I've just used nails for butterfly houses. I'd love to see some photos of yours, so I know what these things are supposed to look like.

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
This is the version my deceased father (Hoppy) made. I think it was rough sawn western cedar joined with finishing nails. Some splitting has occurred, but I like this design much better than the new version. I consider it "yard art" and not butterfly habitat.

Butterflyhouse_pop.jpg

No joinery on this one yet (and no roof either 8-O), but I did plane it to bring out the color. In fact, I'm open to the idea of finishing it also :eusa_thin

Butterflyhouse_new.jpg

Sapwood

ozzymanii

New User
Update your profile with your name
Nice clean slots on that butterfly house. You mind my asking how you did that?

James

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Roger,

You may know more about butterflies than I do... in fact, I'm sure of it... I painted the last two I made, thinking butterflies would be attracted to colors (and I've never seen a butterfly near them). I've been using a single slab for a roof but I think I like yours better. I'll switch to that gable style if I make any more. I'm on the road all week, so I can't post a pitcure fo now.

Hey Ozzymanii,

I'm not sure how Roger cuts his slots, but I use a plunge router with a 1/2" straight bit. I use an edge guide on the router to keep the lines straight. Since the house face is going to be a light piece of wood, I'd clamp it down... and of course, you want some clearance under it because you're plunging through it with the router bit.

Ray

sapwood

New User
Roger
James, I did pretty much what Ray said. And that makes me proud, since I had no clue when I started :eusa_shhh My newly acquired DeWalt 618 plunge router and edge cutting guide did the trick. Started out with 3 passes for each cut (11/16" board), then moved to two. And duh, once I learned to use the stop "turret", things moved faster :lol:

Ray, I know diddly about butterflies :-?
But I have lots of flowering shrubs and plants they seem to enjoy. And I've never seen a butterfly express the least bit of interest in the houses :mrgreen:

Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
Just a thought - I don't know about butterflys, but when I built a few bird houses I built them like any other piece of furniture with tight fitting joints and glue. Afterwards I found out from a wild bird expert that these get too hot for the birds especially the young chicks and the birds avoided them. I ended up with more success by not being quite so particular and just using nails for the joinery. The liitle gaps that appeared around the joints gave a good cooling air flow.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Very accurate David!

I've always left gaps and/or drilled drainage holes in the bottom of birdhouses. That said, this is (whisper) YARD ART.

In fact, oops, I'm using western cedar which repels insects . . . for instance--butterflys :lol:

I know it's tough being in the South, we're pretty strange. We make planters out of old tires, paint rocks white, and hang aluminum plates in trees :mrgreen:

Y'll come now, hear ;-)
Sapwood

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Thats Afterthe tire has come off the rope where it was used as a swing!:mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS