Jobsite Compressor Opiniions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dtomasch

New User
David
I have killed two compressors this year and have had it. I had a 150psi Porter Cable pancake and a Bostitch pancake. Both dead...fried...cooked. Now in all fairness, the bostitch lasted about 5 years, but the PC died just 18 months after purchase. I am looking at the Makita MAC2400 and MAC5200. Does anybody have one of these? Let me know what has worked for you all. Thanks!!!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
those oiless compressors dont last long on the jobsite getting everyday use. i have a rol-air hot dog type that works well. it only has 2 gallon capacity but i am only using one finnish nailer. my emglo gave up the ghost after only 18 years but now dewalt owns them and i aint no fan of yellow. get an oiled type and you should get better use out of it. BUT you may have to put some heat on it in the winter.

fred p

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
how long of a cord are you useing. i had a camble hausfield last me ten and bought my porter cable 5 years ago. but i buy hose not cord, these are high amp machines and need juice.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I have a Thomas compressor and I love it. The company was started by the former owners of Emglo (Dewalt bought the name). I recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Compre...61-2736406?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1183853160&sr=8-4
Thomas and Gast are two "old line compressor manufacturers" Been around for many years, way prior to DeWalt taking over Emglo. Both are better known in the world of pneumatic controls and vacumm pumps than in the consumer line of compressors. I had a Thomas air brush compressor that was given to me over thirty years ago. Grainger has stocked both lines for many years. Ownership/ management may have been taken over by former Emglo exc's. though. As for me, I like the DeVilbiss/ PC twin stack compressors. They are also owned by B&D though. These have induction motors, not universal motors (Ametek vacumm cleaner motors) as now found in the PC pancake units. To rebuild, you simply get a new piston and cylinder liner. Best part is no worries about oil. Accidently turn um upside down in the back of the truck, no problems with spilt oil, or oil leaking past the rings. Also, no accidental oil vapors in exhaust of nailers.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
ingersoll rand dbl stack. 5 yrs and runs as it did day one. bussiness compressor and runs 2 guns at once no problem. northern tool sells them at a good price! u see them in large capacity on big commercial job site often!

just my 2 cents!

dtomasch

New User
David
Well Thanks all for the input. I did end up with the makita MAC5200. Got the compressor and a 14.4v impact driver, drill, light combo for 500 bucks. Pretty sweet deal I think. But I know...no pics, didn't happen. I'll try to gt some here soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS