Jewelry Boxes done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cato

New User
Bob
Finally finished these presents for my girls.

They had been mostly completed for a bit, but lacking trays and felt to finish them up.

Got inspired by a looming Christmas around the corner and completed them this weekend.

Walnut jewelry box with cedar tray dividers and butternut drawer front.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

Butternut Jewelry box with maple tray and cedar dividers and bottom.
IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

Last one here is Maple Jewelry box with maple tray, cedar dividers and bottom.
IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

Thanks for looking, just don't look too close!!

I had fun doing these, but jeez the fit work has to be so close to pass muster.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work.

I'm sure that they will be appreciated for a very long time.

Wayne

Cato

New User
Bob
Thanks for the nice comments.

I have seen projects posted from most of you, so I know I have a looong way to go in my skill level in finer woodworking, so baby steps for me.

Hopefully next time I build another box or two I will be a tad quicker and a little more confident than I was on these three.

On the upside, I learned a lot about mitering, routing on the router table, and using transtint dyes instead of stain.

I also now know why they call them butt hinges, because they cause a big pucker factor when you go to install them!!

bwat

New User
Bill
Good job on the boxes and inserts! You will make someone very happy and I know that will put a smile on your face too!:icon_thum

MT native

New User
Jane
Beautiful. I'm envious. I have considered making a box for over a year now but find even starting one intimidating. Do you have any suggestions for a novice such as myself as to a how to begin a project like this? Also, I am not familiar with 'transtint dyes'. Would you please inform here why you used those instead of stain?
Jane

Cato

New User
Bob
Jane - After I started my first box and realized there was a lot to box making I bought two books on the subject that give a lot of ideas, designs, and tips on box construction.

One was by Doug Stowe and the other by David Freedman, both noted box makers. I found them on Amazon and they were not expensive and they provided exactly what I needed to feel somewhat confident in proceeding with the next couple of boxes.

Doug Stowe- title "Box Making"

David Freedman- title " Box Making Basics"

On the Transtint dyes, I like them because they are a concentrate that I mix with denatured alcohol to get the strength of color that I am looking for.

I also have been using shellac a lot and find that the two together are very forgiving when finishing, a big plus for me in preventing disasters.

MT native

New User
Jane
Bob,
Thanks for the information. I will definitely check them out.

I am a woodcarver and have considered making boxes that I can then carve decorative patterns onto, then sell. About how many hours does it take you to make a box? I'm wondering if I would be better off making my own or buying boxes? I know you made these as a gift but insight from you, someone just getting started making boxes, would be very helpful for me.
Jane

Cato

New User
Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the information. I will definitely check them out.

I am a woodcarver and have considered making boxes that I can then carve decorative patterns onto, then sell. About how many hours does it take you to make a box? I'm wondering if I would be better off making my own or buying boxes? I know you made these as a gift but insight from you, someone just getting started making boxes, would be very helpful for me.
Jane

Jane, for me it took lots of hours for the first one. The second two were faster as I used same design just a little different dimensions and built them at the same time which saved time on router table set ups, mitering, etc.

So not much help answering your question on timelines as I just sort of tinker along on projects when I can get shop time in.

You might just want to try a couple of small boxes and see what you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors