Jet Jointer/Planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeepMr

New User
Michael
Thanks to everyone who help'd me make a decision on a planer. Now I'm looking at a Jet 6" Jointer/Planer used for $275. Is it a good deal? any thoughts?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That's a pretty good price, assuming it's in good condition (no significant rust, no warp in the tables or fence, belts OK, some life left in the knives). A new 6" jointer will typically run you $400 - $600, so this is about 50% of new.

Cato

New User
Bob
Michael, yep you are on the same path I have been on. Once you get the planer you find you need a jointer.

That sounds like a fair price on the Jet jointer, if as Bas says its condition is good. I was shopping CL recently for one, but needed one ASAP for a project that can't wait for my daughter.

Just finished assembling a Ridgid last night, that for me should be a nice machine, but probably not in the same class as a 6" Jet jointer.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Michael,
Since you already own the DW735 I would advise you to pass on the combo model and go for a dedicated jointer if you have the room. A used 6" jointer can almost always be found for around $300 or less and gives you a much longer surface which is needed for dressing longer boards. The 6' combo wouldn't do a good jod on anything longer than 4'. If you have the time and patience, I would wait for an 8" jointer if possible.

Good luck with any decision that you make !

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Michael,
Since you already own the DW735 I would advise you to pass on the combo model and go for a dedicated jointer if you have the room. A used 6" jointer can almost always be found for around $300 or less and gives you a much longer surface which is needed for dressing longer boards. The 6' combo wouldn't do a good jod on anything longer than 4'. If you have the time and patience, I would wait for an 8" jointer if possible.

Good luck with any decision that you make !
Jimmy - I don't think this is a combo machine. It's just a jointer (jointer planer, as opposed to a thickness planer). The JET combo units you refer to only come in 8", 10" and 12". But you're absolutely right it doesn't make any sense to get a combo unit when you already have a planer.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Jimmy - I don't think this is a combo machine. It's just a jointer (jointer planer, as opposed to a thickness planer). The JET combo units you refer to only come in 8", 10" and 12". But you're absolutely right it doesn't make any sense to get a combo unit when you already have a planer.

You may be right about the 6", but I was looking at the 8" that Zapdafish posted when I wrote my response. If it's not a jointer/planer then it's a jointer. I still recommend the 8" if that's the way he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS