jatoba

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks
I'm working on a wood gloat about some eastern white pine, cypress, heart pine and jatoba.

I have some experience with the first two but am concerned about the Brazilian Cherry. This stuff has all been in storage about ten years after a shop closed, supposed to be a total of 600-800 feet.

Any ideas about the value, and the workability of the jatoba?

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Got Carbide?
Got a friend who sharpens Carbide?
You'll need both. Makes a beautiful deck.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Jatoba is beautiful wood. It is very hard and will wear and tear on your blades, but it will also hold up very well over time. I made this king-sized platform bed out of it a few years ago. Since then, I sold the bed, but haven't heard any complaints from the buyers.

pics_484.jpg

I finished it with Tung Oil and it really popped the grain.

bed_049.jpg

This nightstand is also made from jatoba and curly figured maple (veneer).

abc.jpg

I managed to hang onto it, although it doesn't match anything else in the house now. :dontknow:

Overall, it will destroy your blades and router bits, but it is a truly beautiful wood and IMHO, worth the wear and tear on the blades. :icon_thum

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I have worked some with the brizialinn Cherry. It will bring sparks from a table saw, and it has a funny dank kind of smell. it does however make lovely out of doors stuff and last a long time. The jatoba is really pretty wood when it is finished
jabota_bowl.jpg

Sorry its a bit fuzzy but it was taken with the old camera.

Thanks Mark

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
If you get 600-800 BF of Jatoba, You are one LUCKY Man, I love the stuff...It is very beautiful and nice and HARD.

Would love to take some off your hands of course, Maybe a pen blank though as I live in Utah.

Have fun with it whatever you do.

cskipper

Cathy
Jatoba is really pretty. Weighs a ton, and splinters when scrolled and during sanding. It's difficult to sand the corners so they aren't sharp to the touch for things like trivets, baskets... It's worth the effort, but it is challenging.

JRD

New User
Jim
I've used surplus Jatoba flooring to make boxes.

The look is very nice but I'll second the comments about it being very hard.

tkpinsc

New User
Tod Parks
If you get 600-800 BF of Jatoba, You are one LUCKY Man, I love the stuff...It is very beautiful and nice and HARD.

Would love to take some off your hands of course, Maybe a pen blank though as I live in Utah.

Have fun with it whatever you do.

600-800 ft total of the four species. The seller guesses 300 jatoba, 300 heart pine, 100 cypress, 100 pine. Its in a locked (I think by the facility) storage locker. Went to look yesterday with the owner but couldn't get it unlocked as it was after hours and nobody was in the office. I think the deal is he's selling the wood to pay the locker bill and get the rest of his stuff. Hope to get in today. If I get it I'll have surplus to sell.

Some beautiful examples of stuff made out of jatoba. Looks like its worth the effort.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Tod, the jatoba, heart pine, and cypress are probably in great condition. But after being in storarge for 10 years, you might look carefully at the white pine just to make sure it doesn't have any insect damage, or worse yet, any little little critters hiding in it.

Bill

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I too asked about this stuff in the past and others told me I must be a glutten for punishment. My experience with Jatoba is its a very tough and heavy material. Tools must be sharp and clean. Have your shapening station ready at all times. I don't have exactly the best hand planes and I would have to sharpen after every board (medium use) to maintain clean cuts. Always pre-bore and pre-thread any hole requiring a screw. Ensure it is acclimated to your shop. At first I did not acclimate the wood to my shop, after making cuts and let it rest the wood moved on me considerably. Some thin pieces moved to the tune of 8 inches of deflection when cut from a straight board. UV rays will darken it over time. I finished this project with Mahoneys walnut oil and wax combination. For this project I wanted a food safe finish as I expect my daughter to chew on the edges and from what I read the oil will harden with time. Overall I really enjoyed working with it and look forward to using it again.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
I made a cutting board out of it 6-years ago and can attest to its harness. After 6-years of nearly daily use you can hardly see any wear on the cutting board but my expensive German knives need sharpening 2-3 times per year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors