Japanese saws, etc

Ted P

Ted
Corporate Member
My neighbor brought these over from an in-law who can no longer use them. He said “no charge” but if they actually are good tools, that wouldn’t be right.
I know next to nothing about Japanese saws or their look alikes. Virtually all say made in Japan. Most look in pretty good shape. A few say Razorsaw, several just have kanji that I cannot read. A few are hardware store.
Any thoughts about whether these are good quality or nondescript? I’m trying to decide what to pay for them.

Attachments

• IMG_6179.jpeg
    IMG_6179.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 121

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I love my two Japanese saws. If they are made in Japan the quality is likely quite good.

I would not feel compelled to pay a fair market price for these saws as his offer was made as a gift. If you feel you should pay something, either make him a useful thing for his house or ask him what his favorite charity is and make a donation in his name to pay it forward.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Most are pretty nice , if he is giving them to you, then figure 10 bucks per would be a nice appreciation gift back. Bear in mind most of these saws run $ 20'ish to close 80 bucks. There are couple that really aren't sold commonly in USA...... quite a set

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
Wow, I know nothing about the quality, but that is a lot of saws to be gifted.

I can say that when my father in law passed I ended up with a lot of his tools. At the time, I wasn't doing any WW'ing. I gifted a couple of large boxes of tools to a friend with no thought if getting anything in return. I was glad to pass them along to someone that would use them. Your neighbor is likely in a similar position.

Westpacx3

Jim
Corporate Member
I would just accept them as a gift and allow them to be gracious or as said before, make them a gift item. We need to allow people to help or offer help without feeling obligated to g8ve for what we got. My grandfather would give whatever he had if he was done and you would use it. I just gave a drill press, bandsaw and hopefully a cast iron router table and router to a friend. They are in my way and he can use them and it saves him money. He on the other hand has made me a chimney cap, helped in our scout troop, helped build my building etc. I feel no obligation to deprive him of a blessing for his generosity and I hope he feels no need to rib me of a blessing for taking these tools out of my way.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Ted, that is a very nice assortment of saws. I own a couple of the Japanese saws and I like them a lot...I think you will enjoy using them. (You have a very good neighbor).

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
That is lovely nest of saws, so I’d say be gracious and use them. Make something worthy of this gift and give that in return.

JRedding

John
Corporate Member
I’ve gone to using only Japanese pull saws with the exception of a Wenzloff dovetail saw that I really like. A few of those are very nice saws and agree - use them to make a project you can give as a gift and it will be appreciated much more.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors