JAN...just another m newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardRock

New User
Gil
Hey y'all,
I'm in the process of building a house and will surely need some good advice when I get to the cabinet work. I'm just finishing up the electrical and plumbing now, lot's of sheetrock work ahead. In the planning stages for cabinets. I logged and had sawn a good bit of oak and popular a little over a year ago and I'm hoping to use it for the cabinets. It's been air drying while I collect equipment. I'm looking for a good used jointer, the older and bigger the better, three phase not a problem. If I don't find something in the next month or so, I'll probably get the ridgid 6" or even a HF model to get by with untill I come across the deal.

I'm originally from SC, but have been in NC for about 12 years now.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Welcome. This is a good source for information. There are a few of us that do cabinetry work on the forum so ask away if you have questions.

One note though. AD lumber is not really great for kitchen cabinetry. AD lumber moves more than KD lumber and can cause issues with raised panels. Keep your panels small and will probably be alright.

Good Luck,

John

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Gil, welcome aboard. I am sure you will find all of the folks here friendly, knowledgable and willing to share their knowledge and advice when asked. These are a great bunch of fellow NC woodworkers. We look forward to seeing photos of the house your building as well as your cabinets once you get to that stage. New cabinets are an item on my "to do" list also.

D L.

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Welcome HardRock!

I wish you luck on your house and cabinets! This is a fantastic place for advice when it comes to a project like that.
Since you've got 3 phase, I'm going to insert a shameless plug for the 14", 4hp, 3 phase radial arm saw that I've got for sale! (i know....i have no shame...)
-Chris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome to the site, I am sure you will find all your cabinet making inquiries answered along with what ever else may pop up. I will give a personal recommendation for the Rigid jointer, if you end up going that route. I am leary of the HF jointer because of the way the fence mounts. I had a Shopsmith jointer with a similar fence mount, and I got a bunch of flex out it. I would stick with a center mounted fence. You might consider getting a moisture meter to check your AD lumber, and potentially store it inside the house a while before you start to work with it. Ideally you would have your MC down to around 8%, and most AD lumber ends up at around 12-15%. I look forward to seeing any pictures you may have of your house and ones when you start on your cabinets. We love pictures around here. Don't be a stranger and I'll see you around. Dave:)

HardRock

New User
Gil
thanks for the welcomes.

on the ad lumber, I've got about a third of in indoors, has been for the last year. I'm hoping to rig up some kinda enclosure later and burner w/ control for faster/heated drying.....if I ever get the time, I like to convert one of the tobbacco barns down on the farm to a kiln of sorts...too many projects, not enuf time.

ANyway, back to the ad lumber(that's outside), I'm hoping to start planning it in the next couple weeks and then restack it inside for at least a couple more months before I get to use it.

HardRock

New User
Gil
Oh yea,

I've picked up a couple of deals, I hope, on some equipment.

I got the Delta industrial 12" turrent radial arm saw for $600 with a 2hp bag dust collector. saw is three phase and in excellent condition. I aslo got an older rockwell/delta 3hp shaper, three phase for $175, it doesn'thave a fence and only had the 1/2" spindle, so I've got to come up with a fence and some spindles.

I built a double motor convertor out of junk I had around the shop, maybe got $25 in it counting the twist loc's.....saw, shaper and compressor run great with the convertor.

I perused this site and others for a couple days and have seen great reviews on the ridgid. A buddy here had an old HF jointer before he upgraded and said it was decent once you get it lined up. I looked at the HF in the chlt store several months back and didn't like the way the fence mounted either. I figured the first thing to do with either is to make a fence height extender and length too. Since, to start with I'm only interested in edge-ing the rough sawn lumber to some normalcy of sizes on the first edge then run it through the table saw for width until it's used for something specific.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome Gil :!:

If you're looking for some woodworking advice, I think you've found a great source. And if you're planning on buying more tools you've hit the jackpot :5hypnodis

We're always glad to suggest ways to spend money on tools :eusa_danc

Why Not?
Sapwood

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Welcome to the site. What is your timeframe for building? I am looking forward to seeing your work.

woodguy1975

New User
John
HardRock said:
ANyway, back to the ad lumber(that's outside), I'm hoping to start planning it in the next couple weeks and then restack it inside for at least a couple more months before I get to use it.

Maybe you can find a kiln to dry it the last little bit. It isn't totally MC content. The KD process actually hardens some of the lignum (I think that is right) causing the wood to expand and contract less. It is like heat treating metal.

Good Luck,

John

HardRock

New User
Gil
Actually got the building dried in three years ago, started seriously working on it myself last Feb. along with other projects on the outside like retaining walls and driveway stuff and doing some farming.

We built a 40 X 60 "garage" that has 17' ceiling to the bottom of the roof truss system, the truss system has a 14 X 60 "room" in it. I've framed in a couple rooms at the "middle level" and the truss room will be the main living quarters. I'll be left with about 2,100 sq ft of garage w/ 17' ceilings....that makes it real handy for handling long stock. On the down side, just about everything I own is presently in the garage and I don't hardly have room to walk.

I've got some pictures from the work along and along, I'll get an album up soon so I can get some input on different things.

One of the most interesting problems I keep encountering on this project is deciding exactly what we want and where....seems like any one thing has several other tied to it and takes considerable thought and planning to get ourselves backed into a corner so to speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS