I've caught the bug...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
I guess I shouldn't have taken the Dovetail, M&T class at the Woodwright's School. That ended up getting me to sign up for the mystery mallet class. And that ended up getting me to buy some handtools from the store above the school.

I broke down and bought more then a few things.... (I'll take pictures after I sharpen them up)
1) Dovetail saw
2) Panel saw (both saws are sharp)
3) Stanly #31 jointer transitional plane
4) Low angle block plane
5) Wood bodied rebate plane
6) Wooden plow plane with an assortment of cutters.
7) A couple chisels

I started sharpening the edge tools yesterday and got the rough shaping done. Hopefully I'll have time to polish up the edges. Then I'm going to build a simple knockdown workbench.

They were short on mortising chisels and I was wondering if anyone knows a good source for some old ones? Or if they are pretty easy to make?

Wes

klfelkins

New User
Kristy
My husband took a class at the wws two weeks ago (bench planing). He also came home with a new plane and now we are looking at what he needs/wants to build a good official wood working table :)
Congrats on your new tools!

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Looks like you are off to a good start.

I can't help you with any old mortise chisels. If you don't mind new, Lee valley has a decent starter set made by Narex. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,44047&p=66737

Right now they are about $12.00 apiece. They have been on sale for as low as $9.00 apiece.

You can make them from a good piece of steel, but it is time intensive and you could spend the better part of a day on each one plus the time to harden, finish and handle one.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Highland woodworking also runs sales on the Narex chisels. If you are looking for older ones, you may want to save up and wait for the next MWTCA meeting that's close to you. I sure that you'll find more than you need there.

Good luck,

eyekode

New User
Salem
I have these chisels. I think they are great!!! I don't lust after Ray Iles chisels anymore. I am sure his are better but I am really happy with these. It took < 5 mins to setup each chisel. They had very nicely flat ground backs (not that that is critical for a mortise chisel but hey I was surprised!). You can swing by my house and use one if you want :).
69CG8952.JPG

View image in gallery

Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Jimmy,
I recommend buying these from Lee-Valley. They are true imperial sizes and I wonder if Lee-Valley having them "specially" ground has something to do with how easy they were to hone. But maybe not. Maybe I just like ordering from Lee-Valley?
Salem

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome to the club. BTW, you will want new tools every time you take a different class. Hold off the lathe classes for now.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
Taking measurements right now for a little workbench I can plane on......the mft just isn't sturdy enough.

JonT

New User
Jon
"... handtools from the store above the school."

No kidding? Is the store open only to students or the general public? What do they carry -- only vintage tools or new?

I see a trip to Pittsboro in my future.

Kicbak

New User
Wes
The store is only open when classes are in session. The store is open to anyone. They only have vintage stuff like you see on the Woodwright's Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors