Itty Bitty Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Stuart,

Thanks!

Yeah... I guess you might say I've done just a tad more since you saw it last... so, anytime you (or anyone else for that matter) wanna tour of the place, just gimme a shout and lemme know when you wanna come by and see it.

To hijack my own thread for a second... The studio's interior wall finishes are made from lumber on the property, the Raleigh Lumber Run and some stock from The Hardwood Store. - One room is cedar planks, another is FS and QS Red Oak planks with Walnut trim and another room is Jatoba planking with Red Oak trim. It's not perfect work, but I'm very happy with how well it all did turn out.

btw... sorry to hear about your Heels... There's always next year... or the year after... or even the year after that... :eusa_booh

(Seriously, I do wish em' luck next year)

Tom,

I appreciate your being willing to "take one for the team" and help me out with that lumber...I know what a difficult thing you're willing to do. But I'd sure hate to place such a large burden on anyone.

Still... if you wanna make an offer on some of this... lemme know. :icon_thum

MikeCSmith

New User
Mike
I'm just going to tell you what I have and so far it has worked for me. I have a detached three car garage that is totally dedicated as my shop. I have two 220 outlets for my table saw and band saw and I will probably want to put in more but this has worked for me for years. I run everything else off of 15 or 20 amp plug-ins. My shop is just my shop. I'm the only one working in it. So I never have the band saw and the table saw working at the same time. I'm only running a single piece of equipment along with a shop vac or a small JET dust vac. During the summer I also run a window air conditioner.

My shop only has a 40amp service connected to it. I wish I had more amperage, but I have never had a problem. I have never had the power switch off because I was using too much power. I actually would never have designed it this way, it's just the way it came. I don't know much about electricity, all I know is that I have never had a problem with my 40amp shop. I have designs on a bigger planer and jointer and I'm sure they will be needing 220 service, but I'll just share the existing outlets I have since, like I said, I'm never running more than a single piece of equipment and some type of vacum.

Stick&String

New User
Scott
I work out of a 10x12 shop/hunting storage shed I have my chop saw set up on an angle so long boards can stick out the door if needed. It might be tough to do huge projects but you’d be surprised what you can do with a few tools and a couple square feet of work space.

max_in_graham

New User
Max
It might be tough to do huge projects but you’d be surprised what you can do with a few tools and a couple square feet of work space.

Oh my heavens' yes...

I still haven't quite had the time and energy to unbury the old monster workbench to get it out and make that top smaller... but I have managed to get a coupla small guitar amp stands knocked out.

Next up is a small 48"x48" box frame with casters to set my Hammond organ on.

No, it ain't fun or easy, but at least things are almost functional... almost. :wsmile:

I'm just hoping to get after that workbench sometime early next week, while it's still (reasonably) dry outside.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Max! Long time no see... HOW are ewe?

I work out of a 12x12, so I can empathize.

Workbench widths seem to be favored around 24" these days. The real test is can you reach around the back to clamp something from the far edge.

I ran a 60amp service to my shop, and have been quite satisfied.

Congrats on that studio, I know its been a long time coming!

Jim

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Max! Long time no see... HOW are ewe?

I work out of a 12x12, so I can empathize.

Workbench widths seem to be favored around 24" these days. The real test is can you reach around the back to clamp something from the far edge.

I ran a 60amp service to my shop, and have been quite satisfied.

Congrats on that studio, I know its been a long time coming!

Jim

Thanx Jim!

Hoping to get back into the swing of things with HOW before too long... like next week?!?

My original workbench was 48x96... pretty massive and well beyond overkill for what I'll do in my shop from now on.

So, isn't 24x96 still a bit too big?

I was thunkin' (scary as that is...) that 24x72 may be more of a smart size to shoot for... but not of 6' is commonly accepted as a tad too short.

I'm genuinely considering adding a tool tray on the backside, so I'll not only have a place for tools I'm working with, but a clamping surface as well.

Any thoughts?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
My original workbench was 48x96... pretty massive and well beyond overkill for what I'll do in my shop from now on.

So, isn't 24x96 still a bit too big?
I have a workbench that's 24" wide. If I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go 28", but it's not a big deal. If your workbench is also serving as your assembly table, then wider is better.
A workbench can never be too long, the longer the more surface you have to bury under a stack of tools. Assuming it fits in your shop of course. If you absolutely have to cut it down, 6ft long isn't bad.

richlife

New User
Rich
Hey, Max! Coming in late here, but I really think I can help you out some. My first suggestion is that you take a look at my shop here http://www.beauhavenwoodworking.com/bh_views.htm and my second suggestion is that you take a quick run down the road and visit me -- you really can't see from pictures how the space is utilized. It took me 3 or 4 retries over 4 or 5 years to finally get this down pat. And then I went and built "extras" so that I now have room glorious room (sure I do) -- ask Bas, he's seen it. And I do have a few "extra" tools...

My basic shop it a 12x16 prefab shed. I put doors at each end as you did to get long board service. But I had to have a deck at one end, just to put in a door! I have 60A service which is fine, but wouldn't complain about 100 (but as with you, my base was 400A and the 60 works well in a one person shop). I ended up putting all I could outside (dust collector and ductwork, downdraft sanding table and wood storage. (Got REAL tired of moving wood around.) You can easily and cheaply build a decent wood shelter (mine is attached to the shop wall) or possibly find a second hand carport shelter (let me give you a few tips before you do that -- like don't kneel on the roof sheet as you remove that last screw -- sort of like sawing the branch between you and the tree trunk :gar-Cr -- no injuries, just one **** of a scare!).

Anyway, I'm serious about a visit -- let me know. Rich

Edit: BTW, AC is tough unless you have a dust collector or air filter or both. But it's worthwhile to be able to condition your wood ahead of starting a project. Changes get a chance to take place in the wood, not in the finished product. (But then, our ancesters did a few decent things without AC, didn't they?)

Also, you can do marvels with a small budget and a little (or a lot of) time. My entire finish room addition cost me $1300 including insulation, AC and air cleaner. Having the space to store things makes it easy to obtain and keep freebies; visit the Habitat store regularly, and track sales or deals whenever you can. It doesn't take much work to modify a folding panel door into folding french doors (the real cost is the tempered glass). Rich

Digit

New User
Dave
I am trying to figure out my shop too, but this I know, my tablesaw- 30 amp 220. My planer is the same and if you get a 3horse or up dust collector it probably needs a 15 amp 220v. Lights 15 amp 110v. AND a 15 amp circuit for the beer fridge for visiting dignataries (woodworkers):eek:ccasion1. So where are we? Oh yea a circuit for the tv and radio cause its also the clubhouse/hideout. We are closing in on at least 30a+15@220 and 15+15 for lights and fridge these are dedicated draws, no room for a helper on an orbital sander at 60 amps?
Please don't give up the fridge man!!

max_in_graham

New User
Max
Digit,

I've got TWO beer fridges in the studio... with AC/Heat, cable TV, internet, lounge with kitchenette and a bathroom with shower that's less than 100', as the crow flies, from the woodshop... so I'm good to go on that front. :icon_thum

Hey, I think I only look stoopid. :rotflm:
Rich,
All I can say is... WOW!! What a GREAT shop!

I'll try to get down that way soon, and see what ideas I can steal from ya's. Thanx for the invite... I 'pershiate it!

But, just to clarify, I haven't put the doors in the other end of the shop yet... I hope to get to that project soon though... and it'll prolly wait until I make a visit down your way.

Thanx for the advice for the 28" bench width, Bas. Maybe a compromise of 7' would be "smart", if I can't quite justify 8'. hmmmmmmm......

Thanx gents!

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Oh yea a circuit for the tv and radio cause its also the clubhouse/hideout. We are closing in on at least 30a+15@220 and 15+15 for lights and fridge these are dedicated draws, no room for a helper on an orbital sander at 60 amps?
Please don't give up the fridge man!!

Dave: Remember that the breakers in the box don't have to add up to 60 or less. You can put in as many circuits as you want you just cant use more than 60A of power at the same time w/o tripping the main. I'd also suspect that your TS doesn't actually draw anywhere close to 30A (unless it's a MONSTER) especially at 240V (which generally uses half the aperage of 120V). It may spike a bit at startup but I think you'll have plenty of headroom at 60A.... (DYIer, not an electrician)

Thanx for the advice for the 28" bench width, Bas. Maybe a compromise of 7' would be "smart", if I can't quite justify 8'. hmmmmmmm......

Thanx gents!

Max: There was a cool plan for a small and moveable bench in one of last fall's WOOD magainzines. It's a bit smaller that what you're talking about but it seems like it's got a lot of bang for the buck and may work as a good initial bench to get you started and hold you over until you get all the other details of your shop figured out. I found a link online: http://www.woodstore.net/buwo.html

Travis

Digit

New User
Dave
Actually, it draws 25 amps, and you are right, part time use outlets and all,,, but add it up with me, 25 amps, (really 5horse, 12 inch), dust collector at same time, say 10 amps, fridge if it starts up at inapropriate time, APProx 10 amps. Lets see, oh ac unit window type , what ya think 10 amps if it also calls time,, really couple of amps for a BUNCH of lights,.
I dont know if you would want other things running but we are closing in on too close to max. Now, in full disclosure I am a builder, not an electrician, but these things say you should plan a little bigger for expansion of capability. ---> On the other hand, I have this problem,,, I should see someone about it cause everyone says so,, I overbuild EVERYTHING,, and 60 amps is probably all you need. (My wife said I didnt need that stupid saw,, but really, what if I NEEDED to cut some stupidly big stock :rotflm:)

richlife

New User
Rich
Actually, it draws 25 amps, and you are right, part time use outlets and all,,, but add it up with me, 25 amps, (really 5horse, 12 inch), dust collector at same time, say 10 amps, fridge if it starts up at inapropriate time, APProx 10 amps. Lets see, oh ac unit window type , what ya think 10 amps if it also calls time,, really couple of amps for a BUNCH of lights,.
I dont know if you would want other things running but we are closing in on too close to max. Now, in full disclosure I am a builder, not an electrician, but these things say you should plan a little bigger for expansion of capability. ---> On the other hand, I have this problem,,, I should see someone about it cause everyone says so,, I overbuild EVERYTHING,, and 60 amps is probably all you need. (My wife said I didnt need that stupid saw,, but really, what if I NEEDED to cut some stupidly big stock :rotflm:)
One way or another, it's being said over and over -- if it's all you can manage, 60A service is sufficient. If you can manage it, 100A is a really good nice-to-have. Rich

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Actually, it draws 25 amps, and you are right, part time use outlets and all,,, but add it up with me, 25 amps, (really 5horse, 12 inch

Yeah, that qualifies as a MONSTER, and in your case (which is pretty unusual for most home shops) 60A would be cutting it pretty close....

richlife

New User
Rich
Digit,...
Rich, All I can say is... WOW!! What a GREAT shop!
I'll try to get down that way soon, and see what ideas I can steal from ya's. Thanx for the invite... I 'pershiate it!
But, just to clarify, I haven't put the doors in the other end of the shop yet... I hope to get to that project soon though... and it'll prolly wait until I make a visit down your way.
Thanx gents!

For my part, I'll be happy to have you visit, Max. Since you're thinking in the same vein, you may also have some ideas for me -- I'm always looking to improve the situation.

And on the workbench. In the pics you can see the long, 8' chop saw bench along one wall. But after using it as a workbench for a few years, I decided I didn't like working againsst a wall -- too many movement and wood placement restrictions. So I converted that to the permanent miter saw purpose and built what is basically a solid table for a workbench. The size is 30" x 48" and that has for the most part worked well for me. I can move around all sides to work -- 4 different work areas. At first it was my assembly table and finish table also, which is why I decided on that size. (BTW, the top is two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together to make 1 1/2". Solid and convenient thickness.) When I built the finish room, I basically moved assembly and, naturally, finish work there. I had picked up a 30" x 6' laminated computer desktop of 1" MDF at the Habitat store for a whopping $10.00 several years before. It was intended for my sister-in-law who had asked that I make her a worksurface for her newly finished basement, but she decided to go with a much bigger double workplace for her and her husband (at which point I recommended a friend to do the work). When I built the finish room, suddenly I realized I had the perfect platform for an assembly table stowed away that was exactly the size I had planned to build. With a few 2x4s, I built a solid base with six legs and attached it with angle brackets -- 24" high. This has worked out very well. (And my grandsons think I built a workbench just for them! :icon_thum .)
I got a bonus by having 6" of out of the way space underneath to sticker away newly milled boards that I want to have adjustment time before I work with them! (My shop is too small and my ceilings too low to really lean wood vertically on the walls.) Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS