It's a wood thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
Before you take my man card, I was not watching the Martha Stewart show.

Highland Hardware had a a link to the attached article and video clip from her show. The clip features her brother and Charles Brock discussing the Maloof Rocker course at Highland

http://www.marthastewart.com/307449/maloof-inspired-rocking-chairs

The Maloof style is slowly becoming more popular. How long before a major furniture manufacturer knocks off his work?

The second rocker I constructed from Maple used the Charles Brock plans. I recently purchased the Scott Morrison plans for the side chair and settee. One of these will be my next project. I will post a review of these on a comparitive scale as i make the side chair.

Last edited:

Glennbear

Glenn
Re: Ir's a wood thing!

I may offend some here but to build such a rocker from a $1,500 pre cut kit sold by Highland is an insult to the methods and memory of this great artist who was hands on with every piece of wood in his rockers even having pieces brought to his sick bed. The beauty of this style can only be appreciated when one coaxes the flowing lines and joinery out of the stock from the very beginning. :wsmile:

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

Glenn,

No argument here. In fact, look at this in the description:
The parts are provided already in accurately rough-shaped form, ready for the kit buyer to prepare the final fit and assembly. The laminations are pre-cut and ready for crafting the signature reverse curve rockers. Still, there is a great deal of shaping to be done by the kit builder with rasps and other tools to satisfactorily contour the various parts before, during and after final assembly.

The Sculptured Rocking Chair Kit by Charles Brock eliminates the need to purchase a number of expensive router bits, the need to have an 8" jointer, and the need to purchase a Festool Domino joining system, typically saving over $2000 in tools.

A couple of things jump out at me. One is that even at that price they are roughed pieces. I thought maybe the high price was because they were hand sculpted to final shape. Not so. The other is that list of tools that you would "need" if you didn't get the kit includes at least one glaringly obvious tool that I am pretty sure Maloof did not use in his joinery. I wonder how many they will sell at that price.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member

I have a problem with Brock. If he just started a class teaching how to build chairs that would be fine but he talks about his connection with Sam like he's an equal. In the video he says he "spent a weekend with Sam". That weekend was him sitting in the audience of a two day presentation Sam gave in Atlanta. He also "presented" Sam with one of his rockers (I'm sure Sam was thrilled). Story is that Sam sat in it, didn't say anything for a minute, got up and said "Sits nice" and walked away. The bottom line is he's capitalizing on Sam's image and I think that stinks.

Just my opinion . . .
pete

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User

I built my first rocker at JSR woodworking school (Woodguy1975) along with Shamrock and Woodwrangler. We did not have a set of "plans" available so while visiting Highland Woodworking in Atlanta, I purchased a copy of the Brock plans. When I constructed my second rocker, I used the Brock plans in a most basic manner. The plans have a lot of problems , namely the fitting of the arms to the rear leg and the fitting of the rockers. Also the music in the video is extremely annoying which is the largest deterrant. I used a combination of the Brock plans and the JSR approach on the second rocker.

I have since purchased the Scott Morrison and Hal Taylor plans. There are parts from each woodworker's style that I like and dislike and intend to take advantage of those that work for me.

In my opinion, I believe it is up to the individual to use the approach that best fits with his/her skill set. I had an interest and decided with my first the best approach for me was to take a class. Most required travel to other states and 1 week of vacation and Woodguy1975 offered the class on three different weekends at his shop in Hickory. The approach worked and I learned valuable woodworking skills and have a wonderful heirloom rocker that I can pass along to my children when I am gone. I did not have confidence to build a second rocker from memory, photos and notes so I purchased the Brock plans. As I proceeded with the second rocker (and note I made the rocker from rough cut lumber not a kit), I modified the approach as a combination of what I learned from Woodguy, Shamrock and Woodwrangler and the Brock plans. The result was a second completed rocker.

I will not use the Brock plans again but will borrow some of the features that I like. My next Maloof will be from the Scott Morrison approach. I have watched the video and there are some features I like, others I dislike and I am sure my finished piece will be my own version based on the plans and my previous experience. I also intend to build a Hal Taylor model just for the experience.

In regards to the precut, predesigned package. It does not work for me, but there may be others out there that this is the best approach for their woodworking skill set. I have heard that Steve Wall Lumber is also offering a package of a CNC cut rocker that the builder assembles.

Woodworking at this level is an art and up to the interpretation of the artist. If one buys a kit, enjoys that approach and gains skills not previously gained, it is beneficial. If one starts from scratch as we did in the JSR class by designing a custom chair based on personal measurements and designing with freehand drawings and enjoys the process, then this is successful.

Sam Maloof was an artist and the ultimate form of praise to an artist is to be copied. In his books, it mentions that he was approached by furniture manufacturers to mass produce his designs which he declined. Those were his wishes and if someone mass produces the chairs, then I agree it will cheapen the process because it goes against the wishes of Maloof. However, someone buying a kit with the Maloof jointery completed and roughed legs, arms crest rail etc. that must be shaped and assembled still would entail a significant amount of effort. Using rough cut lumber, It takes about 200 hours to complete a rocker. 10 hours in dressing the lumber, 30-40 hours rough cutting the parts and fitting the joints. The remaining time is in shaping, sanding and finishing. This is the most difficult part and what signifies a Maloof rocker, the free flowing shape. It still requires a signifiacnt amount of skill and artistic talent to complete a rocker from the kit form.

The one I could not imagine on a prefab is a cost of $1500 for a kit since a completed rocker retails for $2000-$4000. The rough cut lumber ranges from $150-500 to start from basics, this is more in line with my budget.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris

Sam Maloof was an artist and the ultimate form of praise to an artist is to be copied.

Additionally, I think Sam would want us to "copy" the form, but add our own styles, techniques and embellishments to the basic form - "make it your own" as it where.

In his books, it mentions that he was approached by furniture manufacturers to mass produce his designs which he declined.

And I think mass producing kits - at any stage of completion - comes dangerously close to running afoul of those wishes. Maloof strikes me as the sort of fellow who studied each individual piece of material and simply removed the material that didn't belong to reveal the natural form buried in the stock.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member

I may offend some here but to build such a rocker from a $1,500 pre cut kit sold by Highland is an insult to the methods and memory of this great artist who was hands on with every piece of wood in his rockers even having pieces brought to his sick bed. The beauty of this style can only be appreciated when one coaxes the flowing lines and joinery out of the stock from the very beginning. :wsmile:

Amen Glenn!

bobby g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS