Is it big enough for the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
There has been a Craftsman twin tank air compressor on CL for a couple weeks. Owner said "engine (motor?) was OK, but pump was bad. It was being sold as a "parts machine" for $25. When he closed drain on bottom of the tank, motor would slow down to a crawl, and then stop. Went over and looked at it tonight. Owner demonstrated it using a 100' long 16 gauge drop cord. Sure enough motor slowed to a crawl:dontknow:. Mercifully, I turned it off. Then I offered him $20, which he took. Upon ariving at home, I took AC to receptical on front of shop (20 amp.) Unit quickly built up to 125 PSI and shut off:gar-Bi. Bled the pressure off enough for unit to kick in, four times total. I guess you do have to have an extension cord big enough to do the job:BangHead:. On the way home, I noticed some "trash" at the curb, which included two 20# propane cylinders (with over fill protected valves), along with a 100# propane cylinder. Needless to say, the 20# are no longer there:wink_smil. Oh yeah, compressor came with two lengths of hose included. Yeah, I know I'm ROTTEN!

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Someone call the tool cops:rotflm:. You stole that, but after your cooking at the picnic you deserve it.:icon_thum

dlrion

New User
Dan
Line loss. Voltage drop.

If you have enough copper for the electricity, you will always have a good compressor.

Good deal!

Dudelive

New User
Dude
You got a great deal on the compressor, and that is what I thought when I sdaw it but did not have the time to go and look at it.

As it may be getting time for cooking and grilling outside the extra tanks may do you good. Just don't think about using them as air tanks which I am sure you wouldn't know the possibilities of damage..

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Went out this morning (very slowly - me, not the compresor) and hooked AC to a 50', 12 ga drop cord. She purred like a kitten. Taking the combination of an undersized, and too long drop cord, and most likely a 15 amp circuit, it's a wonder it ran at all. The seller stated he had a bought another compressor. I'm wondering if I should call him and tell the source of his problem, or just wait till he puts replacement compressor on CL?

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
Just remember there is no fix for stupidity, wonder how many compressors he will go through before he learns about wire size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS