Insulating the garage shop--again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Been working hard insulating the garage shop and have completed down to the knee wall. This is 2 ft of building block tied to 4 ft of brick on the outside. Gets cold and stays cold, so I want to insulate it. I have decided to use the reflective foil set on furring strips to give me a 3/4" of air gap. This isn't much insulation but with the use of the foil(actually bubble wrap with foil on each side) I think I can get by. The foil reflects the radiated part(IR) of the heat loss.

Here's my question: I have some fir strips I can use as the nailers and air gap separators. These can touch the plates above the block---and it would help to nail them there. Would it be smart to use PT strips to maintain the termite barrier. In the picture you can see the corner I've started on, several of the fir strips are there and the foil is the silver roll on top. $8 cheaper to buy the 4' roll and cut it down to two feet.

If the fir strips attach to the plate it provides a path for termites past the metal barrier. Need some opinions Thanks for looking.

RayH

New User
Ray
Just 'cause I spent some years in the swamps of Georgia, I strongly suggest you maintain the termite barrier.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS