Inspiration - Loft Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOAT

New User
Theo
Googling and ran across this, which seems neat, but I still haven't quite figured it out. http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/seating-kids/foldschool-cardboard-furniture-054224 However, that link led me to this http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/look/look-toti-bunk-by-koon-063552 which is probably the neatest loft bed I've ever seen. Didn't dig for plans, so don't know if there are any, but 'real' woodworkers don't need plans anyway. But if I made one I think I'd consider some sort of railing on those steps, or have them against a wall.

T

toolferone

I hope to be building loft bed for my daughter next year and this has a few good ideas. Thanks for the link.

cskipper

Cathy
Mike, I'm glad you posted that. I was trying to remember who had made that one - saved me some searching time.

Makinsawdust

New User
Robert
Just a heads up. If any of you are thinking of building one for a college dorm, make sure you get the schools guidelines before you build. I built one for my daughter at Gardner Webb a couple of years ago and they required flame retardant paint, 4x4 post, and distance from ceiling had to be exact among other things. Seems like there were min. dimensions on all the lumber and rung placement on the ladder had to be exact. Upon their inspection after setting it up in the dorm, I had to go buy a saw and cut a half inch off of the legs so when she set up straight on the bed her head would fully clear the ceiling. This was in case of a fire alarm in the night, she wouldn't bump her head if she sprang up fast.
I don't know how I survived sleeping in a bunk bed as a child cause it wouldn't even come close to meeting the safety spec for a grown college student now days.
Rob

JOAT

New User
Theo
Just a heads up. If any of you are thinking of building one for a college dorm, make sure you get the schools guidelines before you build.

Ah yes, didn'tthink about anyone building one for a college dorm. And it seems that no two schools have the same guidelines. I remember riding on troop ships, anyone in the top bunk 'always' had a large steel beam about a foot above their head. Ivery once in awhile you'd hear a 'bonk' but never saw any damage to any of the beams.

dave "dhi"

New User
Dave
that is a cool bed. i like the hidden drawers in the stairs but also see that as a ER visit in the making. leave one slightly open and down goes fraizer! :help: :cry_smilemy son has hard enough time useing his standard ladder for his bunk!

JOAT

New User
Theo
that is a cool bed. i like the hidden drawers in the stairs but also see that as a ER visit in the making. leave one slightly open and down goes fraizer! :help: :cry_smilemy son has hard enough time useing his standard ladder for his bunk!

Several options as I see it. Put springs on the back of the drawers, so when you let go they'll snap shut. Put a blinking red light on each drawer that'll only come on when the drawer is not fully shut, and turn off when it's completely closed. Put the drawers so they open from the end, or the back. Or, make some open shelves on the end of the bed and stack all the clothes and all on them - my personal favorite - that would also provide a second side to the stairs, so nobody would put foot over the side. Besides I'd rather have things on shelves..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors