Inlay workshop with Matt Furjanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Matt,
I tried to find post #40 but it is not on my page 3. I couldn't find post #40 anywhere. If you could give us a word to search on I could search the thread for that word and find the post you are talking about.

Susan, you should have received a PM from me today w/ directions for this Saturday. I included Matt's info from post #40. Let me know if you didn't get the PM.

Bill, just checking to make sure you received my PM from my phone earlier today. I won't be able to be there Saturday. Please pass the invite along to the next person in line.
Thanks,
Michael

Michael, I got your message this morning. Sorry I didn't reply. Also sorry you can't make it.

bwat

New User
Bill
Unfortunately I will be unable to attend the workshop this weekend. Thanks for the opportunity, maybe another time. Kudos to Matt for offering his time and expertise and Bill for sharing his shop.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
What is an 8/16 carving gouge? I have a few small carving chisels that look similar to these...two of them (from the same vendor) have the number 5 on them, but are different sizes :( I thought I was the odd man out, not understanding this numbering system...but searching on Woodcraft for the above terms returns no results and Amazon returns 8 or 16-piece sets. Can someone clue me in on the secret terminology?

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
8 is the sweep, or the radius of the curve, 16 is the width in mm. Woodcraft sells these individually, although they are expensive at around $50 each. I would recommend that you do not buy one until after the workshop. You can use mine or share with someone until you see I'd you really want to do this. Matt...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Thanks...with the correct terminology, Google yields this helpful page:
http://www.diefenbacher.com/Sweeps.htm
I'll take that home and see if I have something that fits the bill.

One more question - is the width measured along the circumference of the cutting edge, or from tip to tip (corner to corner)?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Across the width but some measure inside and some measure outside. Close is good enough I think.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, this happened and a lot of folks were taking pictures so I hope some get posted soon. I really learned a lot about techniques just watching others. Decided to become an observer instead of active participant. I think I actually learned more that way. I got to see more mistakes that way instead of just mine and learn what to do about them.

There were some resources for .40 thick veneer mentioned but I didn't write them down. Anyone remember what they were?

Thanks - Ken.

jskroman

New User
Jim
It was nice meeting everyone yesterday at the inlay class. Matt provided a lot of information. I too elected to watch.
Bill Clemmons is a lender full host.

ken- check wood-veneers.com for the .040 veneer. Matt have us the name and Susan looked it up while we were there.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Thank you Bill for being a great host, and such a great workshop! And thank you to all the participants.
The workshop was lots of fun and I hope everyone enjoyed it, and maybe picked up a few tips.
i do not think wood-veneers.com has any .040 maple, but he has the black stuff. I think I can find some .040 maple veneer, and if so, I'll post a thread out here.
i can also provide some .040 black in small quantities (about 1 square foot lots), and mail it for a nominal charge - otherwise ordering from wood-veneers will cost you a bundle with the larger quantity and larger shipping cost. I'll get something on my website this week and post a thread here with a link.
Matt...

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yeah, I kind of slipped a decimal there didn't I. 4/10" thick would be kinda too thick.

Matt,

It would be great if you could buy the wholesale bulk quantities and re-sell in smaller quantities on your website. Would likely be a win/win situation for all of us we hope.

What was your site's URL again. I've mentioned my memory being faulty before.

Actually it wouldn't hurt to create a signature here containing your website URL. A lot of our members promote their personal websites in their sigs.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Well, I hope the workshop session yesterday was good. I looked again this morning at Post #40 (the photos) and buy I'd like to try this. I did have a great day yesterday working the concession stand at the UNC game, but now I'm home and really need to get some woodworking done. It's the mental release that I need before I go back to work tomorrow.

....photos, photos please! I'd like to see some of the photos from the session.
Michael

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Thanks go to Bill for hosting and Matt for presenting. It was nice meeting everyone and I thought it was a very informative session.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Another great workshop. :icon_cheers Thanks very much to Matt for coming all the way up here and sharing his considerable knowledge w/ the rest of us. :eusa_clap

And as we all know, "no pics, didn't happen", here are just some of the pics. I hope others will post theirs soon. The rest of mine can be seen in my Galley.

IMG_3619.JPG

Bill

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Bill, many thanks for hosting.

Matt, many thanks for sharing and teaching your skills.

Great session, learnt a lot and met a nice group of folks. Gotta love Bill's shop, very nice!!!!

koslonc

New User
Jeff
I will echo the comments of others. It was a great learning experience in a great environment. Thanks Matt and Bill!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors