Inlay workshop with Matt Furjanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is going to be more of a demo/lecture than the kind of workshop we usually do..

However, if you want to try the techniques Matt demonstrates you want to bring a router (preferably a trim router or a small one. - Plunge base if you have one). A straight, small router bit (1/8' 1/4, or 3/8). EXacto or razor knife, a machinists rule. Small (1/8 or 1/4) straight chisel.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Here's my input, take it what it's worth: I learn by doing, so a hands-on workshop is FAR superior to a lecture for me. I can watch lectures online. Some lecture and demo upfront is great. But the real value comes from following that up with hands-on work and somebody walking around, looking over shoulders and saying "You're doing that the hard way...try it like this". As an example, I went to the inlay class given by David Marks at a woodworking shop in SC. He did some lecturing and demonstration, but the rest of the day was spend doing. By the end of the day, I felt pretty confident that I could make anything I wanted using double-bevel marquetry. Obviously, this requires a classroom environment with lots of workbenches, etc, which is not easy to provide (I've never been to the Clemmons workshop).

Anyway, that's my 2c. Either way, I look forward to it.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Chris, that is exactly what we usually do. I had hoped it would be the same with Matt.

We will work it out so both sides are happy.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I would also like to do some hands-on. In addition to the tools mentioned should we bring some wood - what would be most appropriate? Maybe I could add some edge banding around the drawer front I keep trying to find time to prepare.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
A nice piece of 6 1/4 x 8 3/4 hardwood would be very good to practice on. Maybe try a couple and leave one at the shop when done. ;)

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
We will do hands on! Bring your drawer front or anything else you want to inlay. At least, everyone should bring some kind of panel in which he/she can put in some inlay banding. It can be a fine panel of hardwood, or something as simple as a piece of plywood on which to practice. I have plenty of inlay banding short pieces which I will provide. I would also like to do some Federal style fan making. This requires a couple of gouges and some thick veneer. I will bring the veneer, and will let you know what kind of gouges are required. I'm on vacation right now, but I'll post sometime next week. If anyone can bring an extra trim router, please do, so someone that does not have one can participate. Please keep the questions and comments coming. They are very helpful in determining what you folks would like to do. Matt...

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Here is the latest sign up list, in the order you signed up. We're at 13, but I think we'll be fine considering we usually have a few cancellations. And even if everyone shows up, we've got plenty of work space in the shop and everyone will be able to find a spot to work.

Mike Davis
Bill Clemmons​
Berta​
KenOfCary​
McRabbet​
Campbellcraft​
jskroman​
gfernandez​
BKind2Animals​
Willemjm​
koslonc​
merrill77​
bwat​

<tbody>
</tbody>

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I can bring a trim router. I also have some veneer laying around that I doubt I'll never use.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Likewise I can bring a real trim router and a slightly larger but still very small DeWalt router. Some veneer and some hardwood of the appropriate door-front size.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I hope that there is still room. I would love to come. Are directions forthcoming?

Andy, I'm still adding people to the list in the order you sign up. I think we're okay at 14, but if we get to a point where we have to start pairing the list down, we will start w/ the last in and work our way up.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
What is a good brand/model of trim router?

I have an older reconditioned DeWalt that works well, but the bits are sometimes hard to remove. I also have a brand new Small DeWalt kit that has a fixed and plunge base. A lot of people also like the Bosch Colt, which is closer to the second set I have.

This is the set I have.

http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt...dwp611pk,default,pd.html&xsell=dewndw616pk--1

And this is the trim router.

http://www.cpopowertools.com/dewalt...d26670,default,pd.html&xsell=dewndwp611pk--11

I've used the smaller one several times and just recently purchased the other and actually haven't used it yet. The small one worked great for installing butterflies along the splits on the underside of my workbench and also for trimming laminate.

Festool does make one but I haven't been able to justify the cost of that one. You can't go wrong with Bosch or DeWalt.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
No need to bring veneer. For the Federal fans, I use .045 thick veneers (most standard veneers these days are about twice as thin at .020 and too thin for fans in my opinion). I will have enough thick Veneer for everyone to use.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
I'll bring my Dewalt DWP611PK unit with me -- I'll need to order some small router bits and a collet adapter -- I see Matt has some choices on his website and I would like to get a recommendation on a selection for doing some for stringing and band inlays, as well as inlays like the Federal fans, bell flowers etc.

Matt Furjanic

Matt
Senior User
fan.jpg In our upcoming workshop we will make a corner fan like this. Also, if we have time we can do an oval one: box166c.jpg

Never could get the placement of pictures where I want them in this forum, but you get the idea:
Here is a list of some of the stuff/tools you may want to bring. If you don't have them, that's okay, I have some extra stuff and we can share tools.
1. An 8/16 or similar carving gouge. like this: IMG_5988.JPG and a smaller one if you have it. IMG_5989.JPG
2. A hot plate and skillet (cast iron preferable, and a few ounces of plain uncolored sand. IMG_5987.JPG
3. A small soft-pine board - about 4" X 4" is big enough, bigger is better - need the board to be pine and not hardwood as we will be pushing push-pins into it.
4. A small plywood board for cutting the veneer on.
5. A small hardwood board (or an on going project in which you want to put the inlay).
6. A small quantity of push-pins (10 is enough).
7. Yellow wood glue.
8. Razor or exacto knife.
9. 6" or 12" machinists rule
10. A small block (you can hold in your hand) with some 100 or 150 grit sandpaper - preferably glued to the block.
11. Drafting compass
This stuff is in addition to the other tools (router, small straight router bit, etc) that was previously discussed.
That's about it. I will provide enough veneer and stringing for everyone.
Also, if you have additional carving gouges, please bring them - we can do bell drops too... IMG_5379.JPG

Attachments

• img_2407.jpg
    img_2407.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 204
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS