In the "I'm not worthy" category . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
A bit over the top for me (like some of David Mark's stuff), but I have to agree with you.

I am not worthy. This guy is outstanding!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow - what a combination....

Outstanding artistry
Outstanding craftsmanship
Outstanding wood.

It's hard to obtain all three in a single project.

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Yes - awesome craftsmanship :icon_thum

but . . .
"Style is my twisted A&C with some G&G touches, as well as some Japanese flair."

A&C, G&G and Japanese design all feature simplicity,
harmony, clean lines, and consistency.

I'm not knocking his ability (I doubt I'll ever come close to his level) or the fact that many people love that "style" but I do think that sometimes people go overboard trying to fit every technique they know and every piece of highly figured wood they have into one piece of furniture.

Just my opinion -

pete

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You won't be seeing a line of those at Walmart. :nah:

Wonder what one of those would set you back! I never had enough bottles of Boone's Farm at one time to fill it up. :rotflm:

sediener

New User
Steve
Yes - awesome craftsmanship :icon_thum

but . . .
"Style is my twisted A&C with some G&G touches, as well as some Japanese flair."

A&C, G&G and Japanese design all feature simplicity,
harmony, clean lines, and consistency.

I'm not knocking his ability (I doubt I'll ever come close to his level) or the fact that many people love that "style" but I do think that sometimes people go overboard trying to fit every technique they know and every piece of highly figured wood they have into one piece of furniture.

Just my opinion -

pete

Amen. That is incredible craftsmanship but a bit too ADHD for me.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
One thing that jumps out at me is his wood selection. He is EXCELLANT at choosing his boards to show off their maximum advantage. I like the lines of the unit too. The one thing that throws me off is I find the use of so many different types of wood disconcerting. It makes the unit too busy.

That being said, add me to the list of people who could not produce this.

Doug

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
I agree with what several others have stated, that the craftsmanship is exceptional, but there is just way too much going on. G & G and Oriental design traditions stress proportion, subtlety, and refined simplicity. All the contrasting woods, inlays, etc. detract from those basic concepts, but that is certainly just my opinion. He obviously built this for a specific client, and although I don't know what they paid for the piece, I suspect it was substantial. I'm sure they agreed upon the design and materials, so he made something the client wanted. I can't argue with that.

Matt

DaveO

New User
DaveO
WOW, the whole work is very impressive but I am most in love with the Ebony drawer pulls. They look like they were cast out of metal.

Dave:)

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Dave, I agree with you on those ebony pulls. They are works of art in and of themselves.

Matt

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

I just spent the most amazing 1/2 hour watching the slide show of Bill Robertson, miniaturist. This is about the most incredible thing I've ever seen. This isn't Fine Woodworking - it's fine woodworking at its highest possible level.

Boy, would I love to visit his shop and watch him work. If you haven't seen this slide show, do yourself a favor. Take 10 minutes and watch it. I watched it three times with more to come. Fred, thanks so much for providing this link.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...lideshow=31688

Ernie

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hi all,

I just spent the most amazing 1/2 hour watching the slide show of Bill Robertson, miniaturist. This is about the most incredible thing I've ever seen. This isn't Fine Woodworking - it's fine woodworking at its highest possible level.

Boy, would I love to visit his shop and watch him work. If you haven't seen this slide show, do yourself a favor. Take 10 minutes and watch it. I watched it three times with more to come. Fred, thanks so much for providing this link.
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...lideshow=31688

Ernie

Ernie you ain't kidding. I was watching the slide show and my wife walked by and said "I love that staircase". I told her it was only a few inches tall :swoon::swoon:
I can't imagine the time he puts into his pieces :eek::eek:
If I was to try something like that I would probably sneeze and lose at least a few drawer sides :eusa_doh::eusa_doh:

Dave:)

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Dave,

I think I figured it out - it's all an optical illusion. He's really 21 feet tall and the furniture is normal size. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS